Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2014, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Need help! Attention all wright mower owners/fans!

First ....... sorry for all caps in title... but i need your help . As they say, long time listener first time caller. I will try and be brief and to the point.

I've been in business since 1997 and I've decided to make my first new mower purchase in 11 years. I started out with a walk behind then new 'old school' great dane standers in 1999. Which IMO, before the lawsuits, were the best mower ever made .

In 2002 and 2003 I bought 2 wright 52" standers because I hated the new danes. My last dane grenaded the engine last year with 4,876 hours on it. one of my standers blew her engine last year with 4,254 hours and my last standing (no pun intended) wright is leaking oil and it's only a matter of time. I put a new engine on one of the wrights last year. I know that's alot of hours but I am religious about weekly oil changes and cleaning air filters almost every day. Plus, these engines didn't have the insane restrictive emissions requirements of today's engines.

I have VERY seriously considered totally rehabbing my 3 old danes. Breaking them down, sand blasting (decks are solid, not rusted) and painting, new spindles, pulleys, belts, engine, hydro lines (pumps & motors still work mint !!!!!!) and re-powering with new kawi's. I know i know i know...... that's crazy.. But they really are my favorite, most simple, reliable mower i've ever had!!! Solid machine, solid deck (minus the recall for deck stiff kit which i did), 2 hydro pumps, 2 hydro motors, an engine, a great cut and just so friggin simple!!! When it comes to mowers the simpler the BETTER!!!!!

However........ I have conceded that the money used to fix the old girls will be better used as a down payment on two new mowers. Therefore, I have given up the fight and have decided to go new.. . It's a sad day but I have decided to put the danes out of their misery and sell them for parts

OK,,, now on to your advice on which model to buy. Here's the deal.. My dealer has a few wright leftover 2013 models. 52" fixed decks for $7,700 with a catcher and 52" x models for $8,200 with a catcher. Both have full warranties and both have 26hp kawi's. I don't care about the $500 at this point. I am scared shitless of floating decks even though I daydream of changing the deck height in seconds and without getting covered in grease. Again, iv'e been doing this a while and I FIRMLY believe that the more simple the well built mower is the better. The less moving parts and bells & whistles the better!!!

I look at the fix deck as like having sex in a bed. Yea, it's kinda boring and sometimes a little bit of work to switch positions but it's reliable, enjoyable and productive with little chance of anything going wrong. I look at floating decks as hanging a sex swing on chains from the exposed beams in my living room. The possibilities are endless ! You can change position, height and direction on the fly! Once you get the hang of it you can go at full speed and It's like riding on air ! UNTIL YOU HIT SOMETHING AT FULL SPEED THE WRONG WAY, THE CHAIN SNAPS, YOUR DECK BENDS OR SNAPS, YOUR CLUTCH SEIZES AND YOU BLOW A ROD THREW THE SIDE OF YOUR BLOCK !!

Ok, that's a bit of a stretch for an analogy of my concern for a floating deck but i'm sure you get my drift . My heart tells me to get the X but my brain tells me to stick with the fixed deck.

What would you guys do?? I'm buying two of them this week. Should I be as concerned about the floating deck or am I just being too "old school" and need to trust the engineers that hanging lots of moving parts off 3/8" chains is fine?

Let the debate begin. I'll be right back. I need to go de-stress and go grab a

Last edited by MrLandscraper; 04-12-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, If they by chance see this, I would love to hear from wright commercial on what they think. I'm definitely buying 2 of your mowers in a few days and I would love your advice regarding my concerns before I buy!
Old 04-12-2014, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can say that never have we broken a chain ever. Sure we have had our share of "tweeked" decks but that has always been operator error.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2014, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply! The snapped chain thing was more of a joke but i guess a possible worst case. But either way, operator error is what i'm worried about. What happens and what do you mean when you "tweak" a floating deck?
Old 04-12-2014, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You're way overconcerned about floating decks. I've hit pipes and cement edges full speed and the worst that happened was a little damage to the deck lip. Never broke a chain or link. Its a total non issue. Fixed decks are still around solely as an economic option.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2014, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
You're way overconcerned about floating decks. I've hit pipes and cement edges full speed and the worst that happened was a little damage to the deck lip. Never broke a chain or link. Its a total non issue. Fixed decks are still around solely as an economic option.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks.... That's what i've been hoping i would hear because I really do like the x vs. the fixed deck. But even though I was joking about what could go wrong I still worry about it. But that's good to hear. How many hours do you have on yours?
Old 04-12-2014, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have some X's out there and they are holding up well. However as you said the fixed decks are simpler...and simple means less to go wrong. Most of my customers only really change height in spring and fall so the adjustable deck is not really for them. Others have PITA customers that want it a half inch taller or shorter every week...

Not sure in your area since it varies by distributor but here at least buying 2 52" fixed deck standers or stander X's would qualify for a mini fleet pricing.

Also Wrights do not really have model years. So 2013 model is meaningless.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

This.

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

However, IMO…repower and re paint and repair your Danes.

I think a total color change would be awesome.

Find some Blue Paint… no one has blue standers, or a lime green or black and white zebra stripes, or whatever your company colors are.

It would totally be worth it.

I would sacrifice refurbing the mowers to your specs over reinvesting in someone else's machines.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Personally I would do both. I'm crazy about PM as well so my equipment is usually just tired looking but mechanically tight. If you're solo or never have both machines running on the same property you could rebuild them to dedicated heights. The old saying they don't make them like they used to comes to mind. EFI, multi stage drives and now ECM systems mean things are not going to be as owner mechanic friendly. I like the idea of a custom color. Hell many guys on here aren't old enough to remember Danes are the grand daddys of all standers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2014, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is the worse case senero tho
Attached Images