Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-07-2010, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleedge View Post
To those who don't have a kubota, the deck pulley thing isn't common; my zg222 with 250 hrs hasn't had a problem.

My mower had a recall on it's carburetor; apparently some were catching on fire. Have you replaced yours yet if your model is one that was affected?

EDIT: The 300 series gas mowers aren't much lighter than the diesel models; if you want to decrease weight, you would have to go with a 200 series.
Yes your right the pulleys are not common. Someone was having an off day at the factory. My carburetor was not recalled.

As far as the diesels go I might consider a diesel in the 200 series, but I have no plans of buying a new machine in the future, afterall I bought a KUBOTA!

Connecticut Pesticide Supervisor License

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
2011 Ferris DD Comfort Control 52
2009 Kubota ZG227 27 H.P. 54"
2008 48 Scag Belt Driven WB with a 17 kawi
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 01-07-2010, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yes, really the weight was an issue this year, i hate to admit. it was a wet year.

but man do i love the fuel economy and the raw power of only a 26hp . it just clobers any grass you throw under it.

but market also determines what you will mow with and i am getting more and more to cut with smaller lawns i cant use these beasts on at all
Old 01-08-2010, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=grassman177;3350447]yes, really the weight was an issue this year, i hate to admit. it was a wet year.

but man do i love the fuel economy and the raw power of only a 26hp . it just clobers any grass you throw under it.

but market also determines what you will mow with and i am getting more and more to cut with smaller lawns i cant use these beasts on at all[/QUOTE

What do you notice in a cut difference in the old style deck vs the new style deck?

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 01-08-2010, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

flat out cleaner cut and since the new deck is much deeper you can mow faster to achieve a better cut. productivity and quality is the difference.

but it comes withthe price of less vaccum for double cutting( you know how a deck sucks op clumps of wet grass) . that and the deck is so heavy like i said about the wheels digging into the ground when wet, but it is only extreme ditches and berms when turning, not regular forward motion with dips etc. you can work around it though, jut did not have to on the older decks.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Kubota is not working out for me. Advice on Exmark ?

I am sure the Kubota mower is good, but the dealers here and corporate are incompetent. So I have changed direction. Tell me what you think

I found an Exmark Lazer Z HP with a 46" Triton deck and Kawasaki 19 HP for $6500.00 drive out. It is a 2008 model with .4 hours on it. It has never cut grass. I cut small 1/4 to 1/3 acre lawns. Mostly Bermuda, some fescue. I don't have many bad hills, but they are poorly landscaped with lumps, valleys and dips. Is this a good price for the mower, is it a good mower, and will it perform well in my mowing conditions. I am in the suburbs of Atlanta Georgia. I would love to hear from Exmark owners and anyone with experience in my conditions.
Thanks
Old 01-08-2010, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocane View Post
I am sure the Kubota mower is good, but the dealers here and corporate are incompetent. So I have changed direction. Tell me what you think

I found an Exmark Lazer Z HP with a 46" Triton deck and Kawasaki 19 HP for $6500.00 drive out. It is a 2008 model with .4 hours on it. It has never cut grass. I cut small 1/4 to 1/3 acre lawns. Mostly Bermuda, some fescue. I don't have many bad hills, but they are poorly landscaped with lumps, valleys and dips. Is this a good price for the mower, is it a good mower, and will it perform well in my mowing conditions. I am in the suburbs of Atlanta Georgia. I would love to hear from Exmark owners and anyone with experience in my conditions.
Thanks
It seems like a steep price for a HP model. Its not even full size, and its also two years old. I paid 7500 for a new machine with a 8 inch bigger deck and 8 more HP. Why don't you try another dealer. The Kubota dealer near me is a joke. They told me the kubota was no good and pushed me to a Scag. I went to a Kubota dealer 1 hour away and got better service.

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 01-08-2010, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Reasons why I chose the Kubota over "OTHER" brands.

1. A gearbox drive setup instead of several belts for the mower deck. The deck does have one belt that is like an inch wide. They usually last at least 2k hours.

2. Wet clutch to engage mower deck instead of electric clutch. The wet clutch should last longer.

3. Hydrostatic type transmission instead of the pump and wheel motor type that everyone else uses. If this type of transmission is good enough to put in big tractors then it is good enough for my mower.

4. A hydrolic lift for the mower deck.

5. Greaseable spindles. (I like greaseing things)

6. Fuel Gauge

7. Didn't want a 60'' deck and I thought a 52'' was a little to small. Kubota is smart and makes a 54'' deck.

8. The total length of the machine is short, and also the bagging system goes partly over the hood. No other brand can compete with the length of the Kubota.

9. The price was also nice. I paid $7500 for the machine and $2050 for the bagging system. No other machine could compare for this price. Scag wanted $8400 for a Tiger Cub 52" with a little 23hp. This machine is like a little toy compared to the Kubota. Also scag wanted 2700 for a bagger.

I plan on having this Kubota for a long time, and it will last. (especially with the way I maintain things)

If your in the market for a lawn mower then don't buy a Kubota. If your in the market for a lawn mower that is built like a tractor then buy a KUBOTA.

Kubota's prices are also cheaper because they manufacture everything themselves.

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 01-08-2010, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleedge View Post
To those who don't have a kubota, the deck pulley thing isn't common; my zg222 with 250 hrs hasn't had a problem.
It might be more common than you think. My 227 had the same problem (I think) with less than 5 hrs on it. I didn't look that close because I was so pissed at the time and took it back to the dealer immediately. If I remember correctly, there are 4 threaded studs or bolts that point up under the plastic covers on the top of the deck. There was not a single nut on any of the studs.
I wasn't sure if that would be a factory issue or a dealer setup issue.

If I get 250 hours without another problem I will be happy. I just pray I didn't get a lemon.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutgrassfast View Post
It might be more common than you think. My 227 had the same problem (I think) with less than 5 hrs on it. I didn't look that close because I was so pissed at the time and took it back to the dealer immediately. If I remember correctly, there are 4 threaded studs or bolts that point up under the plastic covers on the top of the deck. There was not a single nut on any of the studs.
I wasn't sure if that would be a factory issue or a dealer setup issue.

If I get 250 hours without another problem I will be happy. I just pray I didn't get a lemon.
Thats exactly what happened. I felt a vibration while mowing and caught it before the nuts backed off. The nuts loosening caused the pulley to wear.

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 01-08-2010, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a ZG222 and absolutely love it. I tried the Scag and there features could not compare with the Kubota. Plus I got my Kubota for about $600 less than the Scag.
Stihl MS 290
Stihl HS 81 R