Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-11-2009, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Got a bit lucky the past two days...

Yesterday while perusing craigslist I came upon an add for a "trencher for laying cable or wire $150" So I call the number, a woman answers and proceeds to tell me she doesn't know much about it but it says "EZ-Trench" on it and she "thinks" her husband used it for laying underground pet fences or cables or something... So I drive out there (quickly) and sure enough it's a J1000 EZ Trench with a Honda commercial motor. Looks a little rough, belts are worn etc. I lift it up and low and behold there is a 1 1/2" x 7" trenching blade on it (irrigation or whatever)... BUT it has the wide box blade cover....... which means all of the bedscaper blades will fit on it and work!

Oh and the muffler had a hole in it.... but it cranked on the second pull and ran like a charm.... Because of the belts and muffler I asked if she'd take $100 and the deal was done... as I was loading it I asked why was her husband selling it?...... she said "he's not, I am, he hasn't been home for 2 days, probably laid up with one of his girlfriends again. This tme it's going to cost him"....

Anyway it's a $2K machine new and you can rarely find a used one for under 1K.

Then today I stopped at a choke and puke to grab some lunch and bought a "shopper"..... little local classifieds rag that come out every thursday. In the "farm equipment" section I see a AD for a Cub Cadet 33" pro walk behind, "like new", $800. Well I have no idea what it is but think maybe it's the same mower that sears sells for around $1300..... NOT a commercial machine but I've been looking for something the guys can get through a 3ft gate for a few of the properties we have with huge backyards and only access for a small mower..... so I go take a look.

Yep looks brand new, 11hrs on the meter, electric start with the manuals, etc. I try it out.... it isn't "great" but cut okay and is much faster than any 21" SP mower....didn't like the handle bar controls as they're on top of the bars instead of below which makes it awkward.... dicided I could move them if the guys complain and offered the guy $600 for it..... had to go back to the shop and get the spare trailer to go back and get it...

When the guys got back this evening they turned their noses up at it at first but one of them took it out back and played with it a bit and then loaded it up on HIS crew's trailer! That almost caused a fight with some of the other crew leaders.....

It may last awhile or they may wreck it.... but for the price... I couldn't let it sit there.

The guy that owned it was out of work and had decided to get into the lawn business..... obviously it didn't work out for him. He had a bunch of other equipment there but I'd already frivilously spent $700 this week and the rest of it had no chance of lasting more than a few weeks or was just "junk"
Old 06-11-2009, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

lol! you couldn't have just given her a buck fifty... geeze.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dam, those were some good deals you cam across. Good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningside View Post
I bought a wb from 4.3 Mudder and it was a great deal. he was honest and it was easy.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
hey, ya gotta ask!

Obvoiusly I'd have eagerly given her the other 50 bucks.... I just wanted to get the heck out of there before her husband came home...
Old 06-11-2009, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
Luckily that guy who the trencher belonged to did not hunt him down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningside View Post
I bought a wb from 4.3 Mudder and it was a great deal. he was honest and it was easy.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.3mudder View Post
yeah, I'd like to be a fly on the wall while that conversation takes place....

"you sold what?, for how much?"

Just doing my part to keep harmony in that marriage! Likely they deserve each other but I really don't know the story...just her half of it which as usual is probably half true.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

all I can say is Lucky
Ferris 32
Toro 21
Redmax BCZ2401s, Redmax HE225f, Redmax EBZ7100 Kawasaki KRB300
1999 Honda Oddsey
6X10 trailer
Old 06-13-2009, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My find does not compare to yours but on my way to a new lawn i just picked up yesterday I noticed a toro 22" in the front yard of a neighbor for sale. Got it for 50$ and its nearly brand new.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

One time I was at a garage sale and there was this elderly lady. A couple of the items I was looking at were WWII German Helmet and a Canadian Helmet. I didn't grab them

Half hour later I went back to buy them for $30 each but her husband was there. He said they were his from the War and his wife was stupid for trying to sell them. Poor guy only had one arm.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.3mudder View Post
Not yet he hasn't!!!