Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-12-2009, 03:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone heard of this?

http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/Shop/Ko..._Silencers.htm

So I am sure a lot of your guys are just tired of everything being so loud. Add me to the list, my guys are saying their hearing isn't as good as it used to be even when wearing hearing protection full time. My only thing is I only have Kawasaki engines. Can I use this on those engines? Does anyone know of a safe method to do this?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-12-2009, 04:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure if or how that would work, but a lot of the noise on my machines
comes from parts other than the engine, too.

Sorry, it's just not something I would spend anything but disposable income on,
until someone proves it's worth something.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some Honda engines use that material in their mufflers. It seems to be fairly effective but...

Most engines aren't built like the high end Hondas. Honda engineers the entire engine to be quieter. Placement and design of things like internal webbing, cooling fins and rubber dampners all effect sound output. Most engines are designed to get rid of heat and keep the engine from blowing apart with little consideration given to how loud they are.

I bought a "quiet muffler" for a Tecumseh powered generator. After I installed it there was little noticeable difference in the amount of noise because the rest of the engine is still the same old crappy design.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Some Honda engines use that material in their mufflers. It seems to be fairly effective but...

Most engines aren't built like the high end Hondas. Honda engineers the entire engine to be quieter. Placement and design of things like internal webbing, cooling fins and rubber dampners all effect sound output. Most engines are designed to get rid of heat and keep the engine from blowing apart with little consideration given to how loud they are.

I bought a "quiet muffler" for a Tecumseh powered generator. After I installed it there was little noticeable difference in the amount of noise because the rest of the engine is still the same old crappy design.

Thanks, I have seen quiet exhausts for ATV's and just thought they had to have them for mowers. Nothing would make me happier than having to mowers on a lawn and having to wonder where they are.

ANy other thoughts?