Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-12-2009, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark really disappointing!

I've run so many exmarks I've lost count. I run multiple Turf Tracers 60 inchers. Great units but they are seaping oil around the tops of the hydro pumps. Not good. Left a message a month ago No reply no return call nothing. So I called earlier this week. Explained the issue and that it's a common problem. Asked what I could do not looking for a freebie Just, is there an updated gasket? Etc? They said they'd get back to me nothing. I've already paid to have the seals fixed and they leak again within 200hrs. With their recent price increase and these WB's going for over $7g's COME ON BE A LITTLE MORE PROFFESSIONAL. YEA WITH ALL THE MONEY I'VE SPENT ON EXMARKS I'M A BIT PO'D
Old 06-12-2009, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you've always had trouble with them, why do you continue to purchase them????
Old 06-12-2009, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryB View Post
I've run so many exmarks I've lost count. I run multiple Turf Tracers 60 inchers. Great units but they are seaping oil around the tops of the hydro pumps. Not good. Left a message a month ago No reply no return call nothing. So I called earlier this week. Explained the issue and that it's a common problem. Asked what I could do not looking for a freebie Just, is there an updated gasket? Etc? They said they'd get back to me nothing. I've already paid to have the seals fixed and they leak again within 200hrs. With their recent price increase and these WB's going for over $7g's COME ON BE A LITTLE MORE PROFFESSIONAL. YEA WITH ALL THE MONEY I'VE SPENT ON EXMARKS I'M A BIT PO'D
You could call Exmark and try to get the bottom of it. My dealer said Exmark wouldn't fix the seeping hoses on my 05 Lazer Z but Exmark let him know there had been a recall on them because they used the wrong connectors or they didn't crimp correctly to the hose. It's worth a shot.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icepuck72 View Post
If you've always had trouble with them, why do you continue to purchase them????
There a great unit. But they should not be leaking around the pumps.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 3 Turf tracers. Most seals start leaking at around 800hrs. We have had one machine resealed at 1600hrs, and one machine at 900hrs. Our other machine has 1100hrs and still has not leaked. Total cost to reseal the pump $70 or $140 for the pair. Really not a bad price if you think about it. It just maintenance. Some machines eat belts or spindles, the Exmark TT's leak around the pumps as they age. In my eyes its not a big deal. Still one of the best machines ever made.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMlawncare View Post
I have 3 Turf tracers. Most seals start leaking at around 800hrs. We have had one machine resealed at 1600hrs, and one machine at 900hrs. Our other machine has 1100hrs and still has not leaked. Total cost to reseal the pump $70 or $140 for the pair. Really not a bad price if you think about it. It just maintenance. Some machines eat belts or spindles, the Exmark TT's leak around the pumps as they age. In my eyes its not a big deal. Still one of the best machines ever made.
Totally agree with you. But I think they should have better customer support. Also I've run many other brands and only the Exmarks have this issue. In my are it's $100 per pump not so cheap. In the tri-state area everything is more.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Member

if they are within the 2 yr wty then of course , exmark has never turned our dealership down on resealing any leaking pump, and we have seen a lot of them.

A big factor in the leaks we were told was the decline in quality of the mobil 15w50 oil over the years and customer not changing the hydro oil every 250hrs or once yearly as directed in the manuals. And I have to agree, I have one big natl customer who was not so good on maintence and as soon as there units hit 300-350 hrs and still did not change the hydro oil, they had leak issues. The oil gets so thin and sheared, the pumps run hotter and we have expansion issues and the top head seals of the pumps get rock hard and brittle from being cooked basically.

this is why toro and exmark came out with there own hydro oil, too try and get back to a more durable oil. instead of having to change it at 250 like with the mobil oil, now on the new next gen lazers they can go 500hrs when using the exmark branded oil.

so the best thing to do is stay on top of hydro oil, filter maintence and use the exmark oil and i think you will eliminate or at least cut down on your pump leaks in the future.

Last edited by viper00085; 06-13-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper00085 View Post
if they are within the 2 yr wty then of course , exmark has never turned our dealership down on resealing any leaking pump, and we have seen a lot of them.

A big factor in the leaks we were told was the decline in quality of the mobil 15w50 oil over the years and customer not changing the hydro oil every 250hrs or once yearly as directed in the manuals. And I have to agree, I have one big natl customer who was not so good on maintence and as soon as there units hit 300-350 hrs and still did not change the hydro oil, they had leak issues. The oil gets so thin and sheared, the pumps run hotter and we have expansion issues and the top head seals of the pumps get rock hard and brittle from being cooked basically.

this is why toro and exmark came out with there own hydro oil, too try and get back to a more durable oil. instead of having to change it at 250 like with the mobil oil, now on the new next gen lazers they can go 500hrs when using the exmark branded oil.

so the best thing to do is stay on top of hydro oil, filter maintence and use the exmark oil and i think you will eliminate or at least cut down on your pump leaks in the future.
Thank you for the info. That would have been plenty for Exmark to tell me. But to tell me they have not heard of this issue until now is just shady and unprofesional.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well

first off, exmark doesn't manufacture or build the hydro components, like with any piece of equipment. They rely on their vendors for information. I know it's frustrating, but would you call exmark about a problem with the Kawaski or Kohler engine? The answer is no. If Exmark didn't satisfy you needs, i would call hydrogear direct. I understand your frustration. Leaking and seeping pumps are a pain in the but. Especially if you are a stickler about keeping your equipment clean. Good luck. I have not seen any of these issues.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Changing the hydro oil is one of the next items on my list. I have had the same leaking problem at only 270 hours.