Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-13-2009, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rubber or Machine?

I tested the next lazer and the turf tiger recently. When testing the lazer I first played around with it on the concrete driveway to get used to the feel of the controls. In doing so I noticed that it left no tracks on the drive, even when doing 360 spins.

Later, when testing the turf tiger I did the same thing, but this time noticed it was leaving black rubber tracks all over the place.

I first simply attributed it to a different tire, with a different grade of rubber. But I'm starting to wonder if the machines themselves had something to do with it too. If the design of the new lazer causes it to fight itself less as it turns,,, more flow, less skid. If true, it could have implications about the ease of turf damage avoidance when operating each machine. What do you think? Rubber or machine?

Note: I didn't check what tires were on each machine. I didn't think anything about it till I saw the marks the scag was leaving.

YourSkiCoach.com
Old 06-13-2009, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is a lot of weight on the tires of a Turf Tiger, probably due to the engine setting further back, not sure. A skilled operator will have few problems with tearing up the turf with a Tiger. The old Lazer was very bad about loosing traction (spinning) when making turns but the new one should be superior. The new Lazers look lighter on their feet and probably are (probably more balanced). The traction on the Turf Tiger has always been excellent, even better than some ztr's with tractor tread. Just my gut feeling but we had the wettest Spring in a long time and I say many of my fellow LCO's stuck with different brands. Wooded lots with very fragile grass/moss will tear a little after a rain with the Tiger but most wet lots have not given me any problem. And I have been soaked going through standing water this Spring.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Likely neither.. the smoothness of the surface has a lot to do with it. Concrete with a rough or weathered surface will mark regardless of what machine or rubber compound you're using. And most all the mfgs use the same tires...... depends on who's selling them the cheapest during production.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaferhaus View Post
Likely neither.. the smoothness of the surface has a lot to do with it. Concrete with a rough or weathered surface will mark regardless of what machine or rubber compound you're using.

Except, that on the same concrete surface, only the turf tiger did. I was actually quite surprised when I saw that the lazer didn't.

Tacoma's comment about the weight distribution being more aft on TT was in line with my suspicions on the machine design end answer to the mystery.

Also your comment on mfgs "buying what's cheapest at the time" kind of jived with my thinking on the rubber end answer.

I'm really not sure what the answer is here,,, just know what I observed. It was a stark difference.

YourSkiCoach.com