Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-13-2009, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

New Kawasaki 37 smoking using oil

My friend has two new 37 hp Bobcats. One of them started smoking blue at start up and using oil at an alarming rate. His dealer has told him to keep a record of the oil consumption. Since they are new I'm not too worried for him but is there anything he should be sure to keep record of or be sure not to void his warranty. I know most engines require a oil change at 5 hrs or so, though I'm not sure that would void a warranty. I just talked to him on the phone today and hope it's something simple. What steps would you take to make sure this was fixed in a timely manner and that the warranty stays intact besides keeping good records (it's new so there shouldn't be much to record other than oil usage). I think I would be a little sick to have this problems so early on.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know he has to be worried about how painful or painless the resolution to this issue is going to be. How is the other 37 HP mower performing? Any oil usage with it? Since you're friends, have you guys ever thought about swtching ZT's for a day for the experience of seeing how the other brand worked for you? Keep us posted on this issue, when you have time, Tacoma. Had he used any of the Bobcats with the 33 HP Generac's, if so how did they perform and hold up for him? By the way, As much flak as Generac engines have taken in the past for excessive oil consumption and a few reliability issues, I just have to say that the Generac on my mower has performed flawlessly and doesn't use any oil, to speak of!
Old 06-14-2009, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblades View Post
I know he has to be worried about how painful or painless the resolution to this issue is going to be. How is the other 37 HP mower performing? Any oil usage with it? Since you're friends, have you guys ever thought about swtching ZT's for a day for the experience of seeing how the other brand worked for you? Keep us posted on this issue, when you have time, Tacoma. Had he used any of the Bobcats with the 33 HP Generac's, if so how did they perform and hold up for him? By the way, As much flak as Generac engines have taken in the past for excessive oil consumption and a few reliability issues, I just have to say that the Generac on my mower has performed flawlessly and doesn't use any oil, to speak of!
Yes, we've talked about trying each others mowers out. He is a big Exmark guy (as I am) but they priced him out this year. So he ordered two of the Bobcats with out even a test drive for under 9K. They seem to be cutting ok, I always look at his lots. One engine is fine. He said he was hoping it was the rings hadn't seated or something but it is going through a quart of oil very fast. We are both very busy this Spring but hopefully I'll get to test one of his. These new Kawasaki's are relatively new to the market so hopefully it is an isolated incident. The lack of information about Generacs on Lawnsite is probably why people shy away. All the years I've been on here and I still don't feel I know that much about them. I have another friend with a 70+" Dixie with a 33 Generac. He loves the engine, hates the mower. I'll keep you posted when we find the problem. He says about the same as I do on cut, one lot cuts great, go down the road a few miles and the next one may not cut as well. Who knows with all the rain, weeds, etc we have to deal with.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have a member "fergman " that just reported a torn up crank on a new 34 hp Kawasaki. I'm always watch to see if there are trends. I doubt it but I'll keep an eye on the new Kawasaki's just in case.