Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2009, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Sarlo mowers? dependable or not?

As posted on another thread, I am looking for a gas powered push mower with an overhanging deck for close trimming around deeply trenched flower beds. A member sent me a link to Sarlo Mowers suggesting this mower...
SARLO 621-2
Considering this line is manufactured in Florida, I am wondering if any of our southern members have experience with this brand. Tell me your experiences with this line of equipment
Old 06-14-2009, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've never used one. I see them all over. My uncle has one and loves it. Our Exmark dealer is also the Sarlo dealer. They look like nice units.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have one that is a 30" 11hp (i think) cut. it cuts good , has 3 forward speeds, big rear tire/wheel combo so it rolls easy..just a fwiw ,
i'm going to sell it because it's too heavy to lift onto terraces at a condo i cut, sell for 400.00...not sure but new they may be 1700
steve
Old 07-15-2009, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Re: Sarlo Mower dependable

I have used a 10+ year old Sarlo 24" 6 HP mower on 6-10 lawns a week for the last year. I picked it up on Craigslist for $75, stripped and painted it, and have just used it and used it. It is a hoss! It fell off the back of my van (oops, put that strap THROUGH the frame, not around it...) at about 20MPH, I watched it do flips, etc. in my side-view mirror. I was sure that it would be toast, but all that happened was one of the tires came off the rim, and the little plastic cap on top of the pull-start came off. I pushed the tire back on, snapped the cap back on, pulled it twice, and it fired right up!

Although it is heavy, and not self-propelled (my model that is), once you get it rolling, it is very easy to push. Because of the weight-distribution, it turns very easily with minimal effort.

The cut is supreme, it cuts tall, thick grass like it has no business, and I'm looking for another to replace my Craptsman back-up mower. I would highly recommend these mowers to anyone. The folks at the factory are quick to help with parts look-ups, etc., and it's American made! What else could you want?

Rob
Old 07-15-2009, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by khukman View Post
I have used a 10+ year old Sarlo 24" 6 HP mower on 6-10 lawns a week for the last year. I picked it up on Craigslist for $75, stripped and painted it, and have just used it and used it. It is a hoss! It fell off the back of my van (oops, put that strap THROUGH the frame, not around it...) at about 20MPH, I watched it do flips, etc. in my side-view mirror. I was sure that it would be toast, but all that happened was one of the tires came off the rim, and the little plastic cap on top of the pull-start came off. I pushed the tire back on, snapped the cap back on, pulled it twice, and it fired right up!

Although it is heavy, and not self-propelled (my model that is), once you get it rolling, it is very easy to push. Because of the weight-distribution, it turns very easily with minimal effort.

The cut is supreme, it cuts tall, thick grass like it has no business, and I'm looking for another to replace my Craptsman back-up mower. I would highly recommend these mowers to anyone. The folks at the factory are quick to help with parts look-ups, etc., and it's American made! What else could you want?

Rob
Sounds like a very satisfied customer ... this is the best review I've seen for Sarlo mowers here on LS !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 08-12-2011, 02:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I had an older Sarlo 21" push mower. Only mower of that size I have ever seen with steer spoked high-wheels on the back with fully pneumatic tires! Easiest pushing mower EVER. Not only that, but it is built with a tube steel chassis which the deck is attached to. Built like an old body of frame car!! Absolutely indestructable and cut ANYTHING like a champ. All mowers should be built so well. I would recomend one to anyone, anytime.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Back again

Here we are a few years down the road. I am still using the same Sarlo that I bragged about before. I just got it out of the shop for its "Spring" tune-up". I have a great guy that will sharpen the blade, change the air filter, oil and fuel lines, clean/re-build the carb and give it the once-over for $29.99! It had started to bog down in the tall stuff, and was getting hard to start.

After its little refresher, it starts on one pull again (maybe 2), and yesterday I cut through (at little reduced speed) the tall grass (about 18") that creeps into my yard from the woods with hardly any bogging at all. Yes, I did say 18" tall!!! This is still the most amazing mower that I have ever used or owned. Outside of routine maintenance, it has required nothing of me, and gives me anything that I ask of it!

Still satisfied,

Rob
Old 08-28-2011, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does the 30 inch have a cutting height adjustment, and how?

YourSkiCoach.com
Old 08-28-2011, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

spacers on the front yokes...there may be a way to unblot the rear frame and adjust that way..i just don't remember. I think the spacers may have been about 1/2 inch each,
Steve
Old 08-28-2011, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, Steve.

YourSkiCoach.com