Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2009, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Advice on building a bubbling boulder.

I have decided that I would like to install a bubbling boulder beside my sidewalk in front of my house. I have never tried to build any water features and have searched the internet on how to do this.

I have a few questions for you guys that do this alot.

First, I would like to keep my cost as low as possible, so do I have to buy one of the reservoirs I have seen for $300 - $500? Can I just use a big plastic storage container or tub, or just dig a hole and line it with a rubber liner?

What size pump do I need?

If I have to drill the hole myself, how is the best way to do it?

Will a sandstone boulder work alright?
Old 06-15-2009, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Member

It all depends on how big this boulder is. Here is what I would do:

Dig hole 1.5-2ft. deep (dig out hole at least 1ft wider all the way around the boulder to make sure that when your water comes out it flows back down into underground resivour).

Lay out underlayment or a few inches of sand

Lay your rubber liner

Line bottom with pebbles or small stone (no gravel)

Fill with water.

Lay supports for boulder to sit on (can use wood or metal grate)

Make sure everything is level.

Get a coring bit and drill the rock, big enough for 2-3in. pipe(local mason store or rental store)

It all depends on how big your boulder is, but if it's a boulder like I think you're talking about I would go no smaller than a 600gph pump probably more. More is always better. If the flow is too much install a control or ball valve, some pumps are bulit with them but usually the bigger ones aren't.

Lay that sucker down, cover liner, and plants and whatnot, enjoy.

P.s. I would also install an overflow pipe no smaller than 2in. For this just cut a hole in the liner just big enough to squeeze your pipe and push your pipe through. Get a fix-a-liner patch at home depot or somewhere and cut out a hole the size of your pipe. Once that is on it will stick to the liner, then put some liquid cement or pvc pipe cement all over that area and let it dry. Then test.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, sandstone will work but it will erode slowly over time and may crack/chip when exposed to extreme freeze and thaw cycles when there is water involved. You can make it work just be careful when drilling and add water when you do. If you're going out looking for it rather than buying it, make sure to test it's strength with a few taps of a brick hammer. These stones are awsome to use though, You can carve some pretty cool designs in them easily.