Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-15-2009, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sod: the right way to install

Just wanted to hear opinions and answers. Here is the situation. You have done perfect prep and are ready to lay sod and along one side is the concrete driveway and sidewalk. According to what I understand the dirt should be 1-1 1/2" (depending on the thickness you supplier cuts the sod) below the top surface of the concrete. This allows a uniform and level surface from driveway to turf when the sod is put down. I mean it could even be a little above to allow for a little settling and compaction.

Lately around my area I have seen MANY sod installs where the entire soil surface of the sod (not the existing soil) is above the level of driveways, sidewalks, etc... Isn't this wrong or am I reading the wrong information.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I put the soil surface of the sod even with the finished surface of the concrete. I know what you mean by some installations being too high. The finished look of the sod requires that the grade next to the concrete is prepared properly. I notice people really cut corners when they have to remove an existing lawn to lay sod. Some people don't take the time to do the hand work to prep next to sidewalks and driveways. It seems they don't want to get out of the skid loader and grab a shovel and rake and do it right!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I do too. It just looks more finished especially when the lawn gets mowed. At first it is kind of crazy looking but then after mowing and edging it just looks odd being so tall.
I just hate it because I had a customer who chose me to redo his entire lawn (around 2k sq.ft.) and then out of the blue choses another guy whose quote was $1,000 less than mine and two other quotes(me and the two other guys were in the same ballpark but the guy chose me at first because I was his neighbor). Come to find out the other guy made a "mistake" with his estimate and the customer ended up paying more than I quoted to begin with. Then I see the customer fixing up the sod because it is creeping over the sidewalk and driveway because the "contractor" couldn't spend a few more minutes to do it right. Needless to say the guy said he should have chosen me and stayed with me. They customer even said to me "I wonder if this guy is just a lowballer" Turned out he lowballed to get the job and then increased the price. Oh well thats my rant for the day.