Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2009, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

what would you buy?

Hi all. I have a question to run by anyone to wants to chime in. I'm looking at essentially three different mowers for my strictly residential application (mow about 3/4 of an acre lawn that is basically flat with landscape beds):

- 2004 Husqvarna IZ4817 (commercial w/17 hp Kawasaki motor) with 1,290 hours on clock. It's in good condition (seen pics of it) and well maintained but it is of course used. Was used by a guy in his lawn service until he just bought a bigger mower. Was $5,600 new and he's asking $1,700 for it. He replaced spindles before, pto clutch, and says the motor was warrantied out for some freak thing but all new motor. Says he maintains religiously. I believe his story and he sounds legit.

- 2006 Walker Mower SBSD (42" deck and 18hp Briggs Vanguard motor) with 30 hours on the clock. The guy who is selling this mower downsized to a tiny lot (his story does check out) recently and is now selling the mower since too much for his property now. I have seen lots of pictures and I see no issues. The mower is basically new. New this mower goes for $6,500 in my area. He's asking $3,600.

- 2008 Encore Fuzion (new demo unit with less than 30 hours on clock). 42" deck with 17 hp Kawasaki motor. Full warranties since new mower. This one would be basically $4,000 out the door.

Money is always an issue so obviously the cheapest mower is most appealing. I'm concerned on the hours on the clock though. If he maintained well maybe it's not an issue for my application? I'd be surprised if I put more than 40 hrs a year on the mower when I use it. I'm really curious about anyone's opinion between the Husq. & the Walker. I've read up on both and they are different mowers. Not sure if there is a better/worse side to them? Someone said Walker is no good because of drive shaft and timed gears. If you break the pin the blades hit and then you trash them??

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 06-10-2009, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

My apologies. The Walker brand model name is MBSD not SBSD. Also, the Encore mower can be purchased for $3,900 out the door.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Anybody have any recommendations on this? Would appreciate some input from experienced members.

Thanks
Old 06-11-2009, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a garden tractor. You don't need a z-turn for such a small yard.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

You have got to understand that, here in the midst of the growing season, good deals might be harder to come by for used mowers. That is not to say that good buys are not out there. Unless you need the mower now, I would suggest that you look around enough to get a feel for prices and mowers. I bought a Ferris IS3000 with a 60" deck early this year with 400 hours for 3800.00 that had just had $400.00 worth of service done to it just to give you an example. Deals like I got are not rare at the right time of the year. Also, I would try for something less than the 1300 hours you had for one of your selections.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Buy a garden tractor. You don't need a z-turn for such a small yard.
I agree with you.

Go to your JD dealer and get a mid-level series that will last you for years.

97 F-150
Hustler Super Mini Z
Stihl Equipment
Old 06-11-2009, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Does anyone have an opinion on quality of the Encore models? Specifically the Fuzion line. They appear to have good engines (Kawasaki) heavy gauge welded decks, good mower and blade speed, etc.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I just bought a Rz5424 form Husqvarna and so far it is great. it has a 24hp Kohler and a 54" deck. I only mow my 1.5 acres weekly so it should last a long time. Came with a 3 year warranty from my local dealer/service center and was only $2,900.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer88 View Post
I just bought a Rz5424 form Husqvarna and so far it is great. it has a 24hp Kohler and a 54" deck. I only mow my 1.5 acres weekly so it should last a long time. Came with a 3 year warranty from my local dealer/service center and was only $2,900.
That sounds like a pretty good price. I think my local Husq. dealer is a little high priced. They wanted $3,100 for an RZ4620 with 20 hp Kohler engine and 46" deck. That seems too high for a residential version mower to me with a stamped deck, and residential hardware. They were going to give me $1K on trade for my 48" Husq rider tractor which is maybe the max they could sell it for best case but still... If they were down in the mid $2K range for RZ4620 I might be leaning that way
Old 06-15-2009, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrworldnewbie View Post
Hi all. I have a question to run by anyone to wants to chime in. I'm looking at essentially three different mowers for my strictly residential application (mow about 3/4 of an acre lawn that is basically flat with landscape beds):

- 2004 Husqvarna IZ4817 (commercial w/17 hp Kawasaki motor) with 1,290 hours on clock. It's in good condition (seen pics of it) and well maintained but it is of course used. Was used by a guy in his lawn service until he just bought a bigger mower. Was $5,600 new and he's asking $1,700 for it. He replaced spindles before, pto clutch, and says the motor was warrantied out for some freak thing but all new motor. Says he maintains religiously. I believe his story and he sounds legit.

- 2006 Walker Mower SBSD (42" deck and 18hp Briggs Vanguard motor) with 30 hours on the clock. The guy who is selling this mower downsized to a tiny lot (his story does check out) recently and is now selling the mower since too much for his property now. I have seen lots of pictures and I see no issues. The mower is basically new. New this mower goes for $6,500 in my area. He's asking $3,600.

- 2008 Encore Fuzion (new demo unit with less than 30 hours on clock). 42" deck with 17 hp Kawasaki motor. Full warranties since new mower. This one would be basically $4,000 out the door.

Money is always an issue so obviously the cheapest mower is most appealing. I'm concerned on the hours on the clock though. If he maintained well maybe it's not an issue for my application? I'd be surprised if I put more than 40 hrs a year on the mower when I use it. I'm really curious about anyone's opinion between the Husq. & the Walker. I've read up on both and they are different mowers. Not sure if there is a better/worse side to them? Someone said Walker is no good because of drive shaft and timed gears. If you break the pin the blades hit and then you trash them??

Thanks in advance for any input!
if its for residental use, i would buy the TORO Timcutter 42" ZTR $2,800