Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-15-2009, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

2006 Cub Cadet Tank M60, Hydraulic fluid?

2006 Cub Cadet Tank M60. The book says I think 15w40 Rimula for the Hydraulic fluid. This is synthetic I'm told.

I can't find 15w40 synth anywhere! They say to change it the first 50 hours, then every 500 after that...
Old 06-15-2009, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

15W-40 is typically diesel oil. I've seen RotellaT synthetic at Wal-Mart.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same mower a 2006 54" tank . I've corresponded with Shell about the Rimula Oil and have be advised to use Shell Rotella 15-40W. This is available at Walmart or most farm stores.

Been using it myself since the first and only change. My mower only has 97 hours on it at this time.

Rimula is a diesel oil also but it was designed for vehicles operating in dusty and dirtier conditions. I believe it is marketed by Shell out of India.

Nosmo
Old 06-16-2009, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks. WHen I called cub cadet they told me that Rimula means synthetic and I must use a synthetic 15w40. Is the Rotella they told you to use synthetic?

They told me the factory hydraulic oil is synthetic that comes in the mower, and that I should only use synth.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
WHen I called cub cadet they told me that Rimula means synthetic .......

Shows that they don't know much at CC.

Shell RIMULA® Oils

Shell RIMULA® Oils are high ash level oils formulated for heavy-duty diesel engine performance. They meet four-stroke cycle diesel engine manufacturers' warranty and service performance requirements for naturally-aspirated and turbo charged engines in many kinds of service. For more than 35 years, RIMULA oils have enjoyed an excellent reputation as premium Caterpillar Series 3/API CD-plus and CF quality engine oils.

Shell Rimula® Premium Multigrade Oils

Shell Rimula® Premium oils are extra high performance heavy-duty gasoline and diesel engine oil for longer oil and engine life in turbo- and non-turbocharged engines. Designed for fleet use, Shell Rimula Premium oils are available in SAE viscosity grades 15W-40 and 10W-30.

Shell Rimula® Super

Shell Rimula® Super oils are advanced high TBN/low-ash heavy duty motor oils for longer oil and engine life in virtually all diesel engines.

Maybe try a truck stop service center for the Rimula oil.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Somebody at Cub Cadet is mis-leading you about either of those two oils. Rotella T (Multigrade) With Triple Protection 15W-40 and Rimula 15W-40 are not Synthetic Oils.

Your mower may have had Rimula in the Hydros and probably had the same sticker on the cap or tank as mine (USE ONLY RIMULA 15W40). But if you will do a search on the link to an Oil Discussion site you'll find a thread where I discussed Rotella T w/triple protection with a group of people. (It was in 2006 or 2007).

And I received correspondence from Shell stating the Rotella T would be an excellent choice for hydraulic pump use. But between you and me I don't see why a Mobil or Castrol 15W40 Synthetic would also be a good choice.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...s.php?ubb=cfrm

Nosmo
Old 06-16-2009, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

JasonnB: Forgot to mention I looked high and low in my area for Rimula Oil when I changed hydro oil.

Got some chuckles from oil dealers - with answers like you aren't going to find it in this part of the country etc. One dealer told me of a Texaco Oil (Diesel) that is the Rimula formula .

I did find some quarts of Rimula at my Cub Cadet dealer but I would not give $6.95 a quart for Dino Oil. Went ahead and took the advise of that Oil website people and the correspondence from Shell.

Nosmo
Old 06-16-2009, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are two older threads where I was where you are -- getting ready to change oil in the hydros and asking questions back in 2007.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ghlight=Rimula

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ghlight=Rimula
Old 06-16-2009, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks again guys. So, after all this, what's the consensus? This is really stupid on Cub Cadet to cause all this confusion and name an oil than can't even be bought here.

Every 500 hours would lead you to think it would be synthetic. The guy from the cub tech support said it was synth.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 54" tank also, I believe it's a 05 or 06. My tank says to use 20W50.