Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-16-2009, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

How hot does your Scag TT l/c Kaw run??

I just bought a 2004 Scag TT with a 27 liquid cooled. The temp guage runs close to the red but not too close. I would say it is 80% into the green, or one red widths down from the red. Original owner said it has been like that since new. I noticed the coolant looked weak so I plan on changing that.

I measured engine temp with my infrared thermometer. It runs 200-220 all over EXCEPT for the casting part at the very rear of the engine where the exhaust bracket bolts on, and that seems to run 450-500. Hoping that may be exhaust related and normal.

How high does your guage run normally???

Thanks!!!

Last edited by jwscarab; 06-16-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are manufacturing variances in the gauges. Same gauge (production run) may read low, middle or whatever. The gauges are actually calibrated to make sure the needle goes into the red during a overheat condition and little else it taken into account.

The sending units are also calibrated the same way... so get a gauge that's prone to read a tad high combined with a sender that's prone to show a little less resistance at higher temps and you get a guage that reads close to red when the system is working fine.

Coolant does "wear out". They make cheap testers for that.

In any event these engines take very little coolant to begin with and a annual change wouldn't cost more than a few bucks.

Last edited by kaferhaus; 06-16-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I used to have the same engine on an older SuperZ. I also ran the 26hp LC models, too. Since it's a 5 year old unit, you might want to pull the radiator off and clean it out really well; especially the fins and the backside.