Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-31-2009, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Help me decide to buy a 42" Hustler Mower

Hi to all,

I am trying to decide to buy a 42" Hustler Mini Fastrack with a Honda 16 HP engine. The dealer quote me a price of $4595.00 plus tax which would make it $4916.65. I have heard that there are some problems with the Kolher engines. I will be mowing about two acres starting late this year and contuning into next year. I can finance thru Sheffield, but my dealer says they hold back 5% if you chose the 0% 36 months to pay. Will there be any more good financing deals later in the year? Help me decide!!!!
Old 05-31-2009, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Hustler super mini z 52" w/25HP kaw engine and am pleased with it. I can't say about the fasttrack.But if you want to know if there are deals then you should post in the Hustler forum.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

chiming in due to the kohler comment I don't know if I got lucky or what but I had a JD with a kohler and it lasted 8 yrs cutting 8 to 9 yrds a week plus getting up leaves. I bought a zero turn last yr and sold my JD to my neighbor he was glad to get it because of how dependable it was never had any engine problems only front tie rods. So I would not count out mowers due to the kohler engine. If my Ferris had one I would be happy/
Old 06-07-2009, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the MFT 42" about three years ago and I just put a post around here the other day that I'm really happy with my decision still and it runs like the day I bought it. I choose the 16hp Honda and have about 120 - 130hrs on it now. I will say though that I and am a bit fanatical about maintenance and oil changes. (lifting the seat and blowing out the impellers after every use, washing it a few times a season, the deck gets pulled and cleaned about 2 or 3 times a year, etc.)

For 3 acres cutting once to twice a week, you may want to look at something a bit larger though.

If you call around to other dealers, let them know you are strictly a home owner and are willing to pay cash, you may get better pricing. I was getting no where with this process when shopping for mine and was about to give up and I made that 1 last call and found a guy who was willing to 'deal'. I'm really glad I did because he turned out to be a very reasonable dealer and a darn nice guy to deal with! I've been back and bought other equipment from him since. (red-max stuff)

Does the 4595.00 include any extras like arm rests and flex forks? If so, that's a good price.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Member

No the $4595.00 is just for the mower. I am not sold on this deal. I have found another deal that I thinking I am going to go with. I can buy a 52" FastCat from my Bob Cat dealer for $4995.00. It comes with Hourmeter, 18 inch high back seat, armrest on seat, adjustable seat, all heavy duty construction, has the ZT2800 Hydro drive and replaceable/serviceable front caster supports. He said he will even hold my machine for me until I get ready for them to delivery it to my home. I think this will be the deal.

Ronnie
Old 06-12-2009, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really don't know much about the bob-cats, but I think if you search around here you'll find the general consensus. Pretty sure the folks around here that have 'em like 'em, but I can't speak for them.

What's the engine on that one?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

The engine on the BobCat is a Kawasaki KAI V-Twin 19 HP. I am finally thru fixing my basement door so I can get it in the basement. I am ready for them to bring it out. The only way that I am going to learn this unit is get on it and go or mow.

Ronnie
Old 06-13-2009, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMCBRIDE View Post
The engine on the BobCat is a Kawasaki KAI V-Twin 19 HP. I am finally thru fixing my basement door so I can get it in the basement. I am ready for them to bring it out. The only way that I am going to learn this unit is get on it and go or mow.

Ronnie
If you've neverdriven a z-turn before do your self (and your neighbors) a favor and spend a goot 15 to 20 minutes driving it SLOWLY around your property a few times and DO NOT ventre down a hill as yor first move.

Pulling the hangles BACK to stop taks a little getting used to. It's against natural instincts. We are SOO used to pushing down with our feet to stop and natural instinct is to push forward as though to put your hands in front of your face.

Long story short. I got on mine 1st time, having never driven one before and 'down' the yard. Darn near took out the neighbors fence due the above mentioned natural instincts. Just be extra careful for you first several hours.

Next piece of advice. Don't try to 'zero' turn. You'll tear you yard up pretty good. Think K turn and your lawn (and neighbors) will thank you.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi fishinpa,

Thanks for the advice about jumping on, taking off and do not know how to stop. I agree with you on these type of mowers. I drove one at the dealership and it was in an open parking lot. It does take some time to get use to. Your sens tell you one thing and your head is trying to tell you something else, all at the same time. I do plan to go slow with this unit until I feel I can speed up some. It is no play toy and you can get hurt will quick with it. Plus it is alot of money that you just spent on this unit. But if you do not get on and ride, you will not learn it.

Ronnie
Old 06-14-2009, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMCBRIDE View Post
Hi to all,

I am trying to decide to buy a 42" Hustler Mini Fastrack with a Honda 16 HP engine. The dealer quote me a price of $4595.00 plus tax which would make it $4916.65. I have heard that there are some problems with the Kolher engines. I will be mowing about two acres starting late this year and contuning into next year. I can finance thru Sheffield, but my dealer says they hold back 5% if you chose the 0% 36 months to pay. Will there be any more good financing deals later in the year? Help me decide!!!!
aaahhh.....buy it!

is that enough??