Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-16-2009, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Bad Boy Mower cuts like crap

My Dad recently bought a Bad Boy, 30hp with 52" deck, and I am convinced that thing is junk. It tears the turf somethin terrible. And I have never had any trouble with turf tear till I got on this thing. And he also gets grass clumped up under the mower deck and the Bad Boy Co. rep that he talked to told him to clean under the deck and spray it with Pam Cooking Spray. Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard. And then they tried to tell him he was mowin too fast and when the grass was too wet. Well then, why can we mow with every other mower at the same time but not the BAD BOY. And one blade doesn't seem like it is mowing all the grass evenly like the other blades and the rep. said that maybe it had a wrong blade on it. No, wrong answer. What next, this thing doesn't even have 20 hours on it yet. I hope somebody high up in Bad Boy reads this and will help my Dad get some satisfaction. Have you guys ever had any dealings with Bad Boy mowers?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

MM, are you behind something solid?

YourSkiCoach.com
Old 06-16-2009, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a google search on them. I've never even seen one of them. If other people are having a problem I'm sure someone else is whinning about it too.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No but I can tell you one thing, and it makes me sick to even think or talk about it...

I have bought two new high dollar mowers, and only because of what another business owner told me did I do what comes next...
Before I even ran either the first time, I took it home and parked it someplace until I had some time.
Then, I took several hours and went over the entire machine piece by piece, and I mean with manual in hand and tools and all.

And we shouldn't have to do this, nor do I know if this problem is worldwide or only in America, but it's definitely in America.
On both mowers I found a slew of discrepancies, results of shoddy workmanship both on the assembly line and at the dealership.
Most things were minor and I fixed them out of principle, perhaps a bolt wasn't as tight as the rest.
A few things were not so minor, I fixed these to be sure I wouldn't have any trouble,
things like a wheel that had not been greased at all, maybe an adjustment a ways too loose or too tight.

One or two things were what I would not consider minor at all, things that had I left them as they
were would have resulted in at least one return trip to the dealership.

Things such as a belt being just tight enough to provide power, but loose enough to where I knew
from experience it wouldn't last 30 days.
Oh and that falls under wear and tear, no warranty coverage on a belt.

So, what can I say?
Keep driving to the dealer...
Or take care of it, start a full visual and manual inspection of the entire machine, fix anything that's out of place and
be prepared to spend some quality time with it.

Might not be the best news of the day, but I hope it helps.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

First thing, check the blades for nicks and to make sure they are sharp. They might need a fresh set (especially if you hit sticks or rocks, etc). After mowing wet grass, there will be build up on most mower decks that you have to scrape off (some engine/deck combos are better than others). As far as the cooking spray thing goes, I do know of quite a few people (with all kinds of mowers) that lube the underside of their decks one way or another because they don't like the labor of scraping grass with a paint scraper. On the tearing up the turf, you have to master turning the mower around on the grass, if you are not careful, you can actually tear holes in the ground, took me a day or two to get used to turning a torquey zero turn. I am curious as to who from the factory would have given out that kind of information...and sounded so inconsiderate. And as far as the cut quality goes, I have some of the pickiest people I have ever heard of about their turf, and all loves the way their mower mows. Sounds like a simple "slower more thought out" turn, and a fresh set of hi lift fusion blades would solve this issue, but I could be wrong. If there ends up being an issue here, I have every reason to believe the factory would solve it and make it right. Try my suggestion, and then let us know if it helped.

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"

Last edited by retrodog; 06-16-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Bad Boy cuts like crap

Everything looks good on the mower and it is definitely made tough. Just doesn't cut worth a damn. And if they don't cut good then they aren't worth buying.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
No but I can tell you one thing, and it makes me sick to even think or talk about it...

I have bought two new high dollar mowers, and only because of what another business owner told me did I do what comes next...
Before I even ran either the first time, I took it home and parked it someplace until I had some time.
Then, I took several hours and went over the entire machine piece by piece, and I mean with manual in hand and tools and all.

And we shouldn't have to do this, nor do I know if this problem is worldwide or only in America, but it's definitely in America.
On both mowers I found a slew of discrepancies, results of shoddy workmanship both on the assembly line and at the dealership.
Most things were minor and I fixed them out of principle, perhaps a bolt wasn't as tight as the rest.
A few things were not so minor, I fixed these to be sure I wouldn't have any trouble,
things like a wheel that had not been greased at all, maybe an adjustment a ways too loose or too tight.

One or two things were what I would not consider minor at all, things that had I left them as they
were would have resulted in at least one return trip to the dealership.

Things such as a belt being just tight enough to provide power, but loose enough to where I knew
from experience it wouldn't last 30 days.
Oh and that falls under wear and tear, no warranty coverage on a belt.

So, what can I say?
Keep driving to the dealer...
Or take care of it, start a full visual and manual inspection of the entire machine, fix anything that's out of place and
be prepared to spend some quality time with it.

Might not be the best news of the day, but I hope it helps.
You aren't lying, the bolt came off while I was working and killed two hours of my time driving to get a new one on... I couldn't move the thing so I had to leave it at the yard.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Retrodog,this is his home mower and it doesn't even have 15 hrs on it yet. It shouldn't need a new set of blades, he doesn't have any rocks in the yard or anything either. My 13 year old John Deere 455 doesn't even clump grass up as bad as this thing. It should do better than this from the factory, but thanks for the tips.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youryardbarbourllc View Post
i have read a lot from dwost which also made my decision in buying a bad boy. I have a 60inch Pup with a 30hp kohler. Here are some stripes from up north west NJ. Love the machine! After looking at bob cats and toros i am very happy with my choice.

No strip kit

With same strip kit dwost made

I will try to get some more this week
Here is a 30hp bad boy in action, please take the time to swap blades out because from everything I could think of, that has to be the only issue here.

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 06-16-2009, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMLawnCare View Post
Retrodog,this is his home mower and it doesn't even have 15 hrs on it yet. It shouldn't need a new set of blades, he doesn't have any rocks in the yard or anything either. My 13 year old John Deere 455 doesn't even clump grass up as bad as this thing. It should do better than this from the factory, but thanks for the tips.
You never know, I bent a blade the first day mowing on a cat diesel, I looked back and saw a bunch of stragglers. I was pretty upset until I pulled the mower up on the ramp and checked the blades. I never knew I hit anything. I pulled a 4 guage wire out from around a blade the other day off a customer's mower that was complaining his mower wasn't cutting right....lol. If that is the case, hopefully you have a good dealer, and you can take it in to him and show him what its doing. I had a $13000 722d I bought brand new and it left clumps, I tried everyway possible to fix it, and no one understood what in the world I was talking about when I showed it to them. I even bought a br600 stihl blower just to blow my yards off after I mowed them. The dealer and all his mechanics just told me it cut just fine. I honestly tried 6 different blade brands till I found one that cut like I wanted it too.

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
"Mow With an Attitude"