Register free!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Applied too much Chelated Iron

For those of you with experience with chelated iron.....I have never applied any chelated Iron before. I did my first app today. Directions say use 6-9 oz per 1000 sf or may use up to 2 more ounces for warm season grasses. So, I had in mind to apply about 10 ounces per 1,000 sq ft, and the lawn area was about 3000 sq ft. So, that should be 30-32 ounces of iron applied. The problem is, I had no idea how many sq ft a gallon of spray would cover. I realize it depends on many factors, but I don't do much spraying and I had a new hand held sprayer. So, it turns out I applied more than I should have. The mix did not go near as far as I anticipated. So, I ended up with nearly 50 ounces of iron on this 3000 sq ft lawn.
I did realize my mistake and asked the customer to water the lawn this afternoon hoping it would help before the iron had a chance to fully soak in. She watered about 9 hours after I applied the iron.

Is this going to be a dark grey lawn? Do you think the watering helped reduce the effects? Should this cause any damage or long-term problems other than turning a little darker than desired?
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly what kind of iron? You only applied an average of 16.6 ounces per 1000 sqft. About 50 percent extra. I suspect no problem--but it may stain the grass blackish-green.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can remember some of my goofy.........yet costly mistakes with applying herbicides, but not with chelated irons. The label rates on those liquids are high anyway so I don't think you killed the lawn or anything. If anything, you could get iron toxicity that will alter other nutrients for a short while.
I can't help but think.......were you using a gallon pump up or hose end applicator?? You stated hand held.........what do you mean?
Those hose end applicator's aren't very accurate, and often apply either too much or in most cases, not enough ingredients. The iron deposits in the chelates stop up the hose or siphon. Either way, after 9 hours, you said the customer watered their lawn. Before that did the lawn show any color enhancements. Nine hours later should have done something to show an overdose of iron.........? The concrete or something should have been a nicely yellow-- orange color.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the quick responses! I used Lesco Chelated Iron (12-0-0) Yes, unfortunately I used a hand held sprayer (2 gallon), which may have very well been a bad idea. However, I do very limited chemical apps. Normally I apply fert, some pre-emergents, and some fungicides if needed. Most of those products I can get in granular form with no problem. The only time i have ever used a sprayer on a lawn was when I was spraying roundup in my backpack sprayer to kill a lawn in preparation for new sod. I am about ready to get out of fert and chem apps all together, but I still get good money for what little I do apply. And sometimes a customer wants someone that can do it all.
In this case, the customer's lawn has had some yellowing over the last couple of growing seasons. I knew iron would do the trick. I mentioned it to the customer, and she really wanted me to do this. I was apprehensive, but did it anyway.
I rode by the house this afternoon after she watered, and you can see some signs of changing color. You can also tell that I used a hand held sprayer, lol. Now the color is not strange enough for the lady to get upset, but you can tell a difference. I hope it doesn't get much worse. If not, it will be fine. I figured by watering it, that may help some.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

12-0-0 is not only chelated iron but nitrogen as well. You could fry the grass depending on your weather conditions. Time will tell
Old 06-17-2009, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hope not. I was thinking that that would be very little nitrogen really. Or am I wrong? I is 2 1/2 gallon container of which I used under 1/2 gallon on 3000 sq ft.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a little off topic. If you are set up better and more adept at granular applications, you can get granular iron if that's what you feel you need to use. Considering what you used had 12% nitrogen, a better trade off overall might be an organic fertilizer. Many have a some iron and a nitrogen source that is not hot. THey provide good greenup when soil temperatures are high enough. Between the nitrogen and uneven appplication I hope this one does not go bad on you.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hope not too! I have yet to find a good granular Iron. Everyone says chelated works best. God, I hope I don't have to re-sod this lawn.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wasn't even considering the nitrogen. Now I have something else to worry about. But I was just thinking that by the time I diluted that small amount of the product I used, there could not be much nitrogen being applied.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope it goes your way, I really do, but waiting 9 hours to water after something like this did not tilt the odds in your favor. It does not sound like a lethal dose but the method of application (coverage) may well tell on you for a few weeks. Try to get in front of it with the lady is my suggestion. We've all made some kind of mistake at some time. You gotta either lead the discussion with her - meaning your suggestions, offer, or remedy - or face listening to her demands that could legitimately be based on concerns you caused her. Just talk to her...tell her you're not walking away but will understand if she sends you away.