Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-18-2009, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Has Anyone Operated a Walk Behind Trimmer?

Just cuious if anyone has any experience with one. A customer is selling a brand new crapsman high wheel trimmer for 1/2 of what he paid. I thought it might be good for initial cuts and small brush clearing jobs where the grass is a few feet high. Any imput?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Absolute residential crap. I have one by troy built. Don't buy it.

Drug war veteran

From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli
Old 06-18-2009, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah but they're always just a little too heavy so that I can't chuck it across the yard proper.
Now it might be all right if they made them a little lighter, so that when it needs to go at least
it gets some good air in the process, but without that I just don't get no satisfaction.

But don't give up, usually when a customer has some item like that for me, I keep it in mind.
And you'd be surprised, sometimes a year or two later someone asks if I got something like that!
So go on back to that customer and ask if they still got it, about half the time they do
Works out decent that way.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have one and it works well. The line is like buying gold though. I only let the supervisors operate it as it'd NEVER stand up to any kind of real commercial use. It gets used only a few times a year for clearing a few ditch banks. And I think that's about all it's good for.

Guess what? yep, bought it from a customer for 100 bucks. He'd put about an hour on it.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the only commercial ones I've ever seen were the Bearcats.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I used to have a d.r. walk behind weed eater and used it to mow down tall weeds along my parents horse fences it would mow down anything i put in front of it the line was very expensive though I'd like to find another 1 of those things they really do work good
Old 06-18-2009, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I figure I can use my redmax for cutting tall grass alothough it does clog up a little. But the one problem I have is the lots that havent been cleared for a few years and either very small trees or sticker bushes start to grow. The thin woodey brush seems just a little to thick for a handheld weedwacker. Would the walk behind one cut through woodey brush better?

This customer is funny he bought a new house thats maybe on a 75x100 lot. He bought the trimmer and used it for an hour or two for the initial cut. Then he bought a lawn tractor used it for a month and hired me. Now its all for sale.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I used it to clear honey suckle vine and saplings that grew along the fence rows and it did a good job but it did clog up [ vines wrapped around the head from time to time ] as for the woody weeds it would cut them down with ease sounds like your customer is too lazy to cut his own grass
Old 06-20-2009, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browningv308 View Post
I used it to clear honey suckle vine and saplings that grew along the fence rows and it did a good job but it did clog up [ vines wrapped around the head from time to time ] as for the woody weeds it would cut them down with ease sounds like your customer is too lazy to cut his own grass
Thanks for the info. Yep he is to lazy but without people like him there wouldnt be people like us.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browningv308 View Post
I used to have a d.r. walk behind weed eater and used it to mow down tall weeds along my parents horse fences it would mow down anything i put in front of it the line was very expensive though I'd like to find another 1 of those things they really do work good
ditto, the DR's are machines, haha made a funny, i can take down stick brush all day long