Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2009, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Plz show me some organic results..

Hey guys! I'm in the middle of redesigning my program..

I'm not having to use weed killer all that much anymore.. and the biggest problem on my lawns seems to be color.. I'm in the transistion zone, and I do soil tests on every lawn, every year.. most soil around here has a lot of clay.

My soil tests show that I'm feeding the plants properly, however the nutrients are appearantly not getting any uptake. I've recently had real good luck using ferromec (6% iron 15-0-0 urea) however it's clogging up my machines, this time of year, the urea is burning.. and frankly, I don't like putting down 8 oz per 1000 of ANYTHING..

I JUST recieved Iron Plus from delta Ag, which has a little iron, but it's supposably designed to make Iron allready in the soil available to the plant.. No fert.. no epa reg.. I believe it's an organic product. Just applied it today, and I'm awaiting results.. .5 oz per K.. big difference.

I'm curious to see the quality and color of some organicly cared for lawns. If I'm going to hop on the organic bandwagon, I'll have to relearn some of my trade, and I just want to make sure it's worth the trip.. I may end up doing a blended program.. but for now I want to see what just organics are capable of..

Anyone got pics, or links to pics of (guaranteed) organic lawns?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-18-2009, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayholio View Post
Hey guys! I'm in the middle of redesigning my program..

I'm not having to use weed killer all that much anymore.. and the biggest problem on my lawns seems to be color.. I'm in the transistion zone, and I do soil tests on every lawn, every year.. most soil around here has a lot of clay.

My soil tests show that I'm feeding the plants properly, however the nutrients are appearantly not getting any uptake. I've recently had real good luck using ferromec (6% iron 15-0-0 urea) however it's clogging up my machines, this time of year, the urea is burning.. and frankly, I don't like putting down 8 oz per 1000 of ANYTHING..

I JUST recieved Iron Plus from delta Ag, which has a little iron, but it's supposably designed to make Iron allready in the soil available to the plant.. No fert.. no epa reg.. I believe it's an organic product. Just applied it today, and I'm awaiting results.. .5 oz per K.. big difference.

I'm curious to see the quality and color of some organicly cared for lawns. If I'm going to hop on the organic bandwagon, I'll have to relearn some of my trade, and I just want to make sure it's worth the trip.. I may end up doing a blended program.. but for now I want to see what just organics are capable of..

Anyone got pics, or links to pics of (guaranteed) organic lawns?

Thanks in advance!!
Here ya go. Blue/rye mix
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2009, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pictures of colored lawns are fleeting around here. It is going to depend on irrigation, soil conditions and sunlight b4 organic vs synthetic becomes the issue.

I had really good results going into the hot part of summer, and we will see how it does during and after the annual drought.
With no irrigation I will not be applying any ferts at all from the middle of June to the end of August. I dare say that the synthetic lawns would not even survive the upcoming lack of water and fert.
That was after 3 yrs with a hybrid experiment trying to get 'Nutrient Cycling' going well enough to support healthy root growth.

The biggest thing with organic - as you noted - is plant uptake of nutrients, especially in clay. What would be your first step in building the clay soil?
Old 06-18-2009, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dishboy... Nice looking lawn could you give me a little info about how you got that wonderful color?

SmallAxe.. I have been cutting way back on fert too.. I did a spring start-up fert which actually burned some lawns when temperatures unexpectedly climed from 65 to 85 for a whole week.. And it probably had a lot to do with the fact that the lawns were allready dosed from a strong winterizer. Since then the only fert has been what is in the Iron.. and I'm about to do the pre-summer fert.. might end up using milorganite, because my color is good right now.

As far as dealing with the soil types... I'm not sure where to start.. I keep the lawns areated, and most of them have a pretty good layer of good black dirt on them.. but I was thinking that compost tea might be a good place to start.. I really don't have the ability to do bulk compost on my lawns due to labor costs, and time requirements.

-Ray
Old 06-18-2009, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

here u go ray
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2009, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Dusty,

You've been quiet for awhile. Welcome back.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 06-18-2009, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there any such thing as a REALLY dark green in organics? because those lawns look GREAT... especially dishboys.. I'm assuming that these have not been ironed.. Althought that would be organic.. right?? but I think I'm going for even darker green than that.. in fact many of mine look 'greener' than that allready.. Mainly due to Iron.. but I have had lawns in previous years which are much darker without the use of an iron treatment.

I want the freakishly dark green lawns.. Green sells y'know
Old 06-18-2009, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Is there any such thing as a REALLY dark green in organics? because those lawns look GREAT... especially dishboys.. I'm assuming that these have not been ironed.. Althought that would be organic.. right?? but I think I'm going for even darker green than that.. in fact many of mine look 'greener' than that allready.. Mainly due to Iron.. but I have had lawns in previous years which are much darker without the use of an iron treatment.

I want the freakishly dark green lawns.. Green sells y'know
The reason I started looking into organics was because of the pictures I saw by someone that goes by the handle turf_toes. I know there are more online but here is one pic I could find.

From what I understand he only fertilizes with grains like soy bean meal except when he seeded the lawn he used a regular starter fertilizer. Compare that to the neighbor's lawns and you see a striking difference. Part of the reason is he reseeded the whole area with grass that has a very dark genetic color. I think midnight II and other seeds. That's the most important step I think.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree that the "really dark green" lawns are largely due to the seed. On my own lawn.
I planted 85% bluegrass (four varieties with dark genetics) and 15% perennial ryegrass (five of the latest and greatest varieties.) It is much darker than my neighbor who goes heavy on the N.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Dishboy... Nice looking lawn could you give me a little info about how you got that wonderful color?

-Ray
That would not be very smart of me would it ?