Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2009, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Scag & Oregon Blades Question

Just bought a couple sets of highlift Oregon blades the other day. These blades are much wider than my older blades. They seems to slow the engine down in some of our more weedy lawns. I had them on the 27hp Kawi first and I thought it may just be the engine but it does the same on the 29hp Kawi. So my question is: Anyone else running the high lifts, or super high lifts, notice any of the same problems when cutting? The cut looks really good and the discharge is nice and even, it just takes a little longer to get everything done because you have to run slower. Running them on 2 Turf Tiger 61''. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipsBrosLawnCare View Post
Just bought a couple sets of highlift Oregon blades the other day. These blades are much wider than my older blades. They seems to slow the engine down in some of our more weedy lawns. I had them on the 27hp Kawi first and I thought it may just be the engine but it does the same on the 29hp Kawi. So my question is: Anyone else running the high lifts, or super high lifts, notice any of the same problems when cutting? The cut looks really good and the discharge is nice and even, it just takes a little longer to get everything done because you have to run slower. Running them on 2 Turf Tiger 61''. Thanks.
I have been using the Oregon super high lift blades on my 61" mower and it has a 32 HP Generac engine and I can tell a little difference compared to reg. high lift blades or std lift blades. But i'm about ready to switch back over to them for the rest of the summer because in my area, the Bahia is starting to really stem up and the 3" wide super high lift oregon blades seem to do the best on that type of grass/weed. I bet that if you checked, you'd find that you're using more gas with those blades also.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a 19/48 Tiger Cub, I put some high lift blades on it and you can really tell a difference. It isn't terrible when mowing on flat ground but you get it tall stuff or up a hill or something it is very noticeable. The High lifts really pull my 19 HP Kawasaki down. I am thinking of putting 1 high lift on with two standard Scag blades and seeing how that does.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Make usre that the blades are the same thickness if you do or use spacers or washers to make up the difference in thickness. I've noticed that some blades are .203 thick while alot of the heavy duty High lift blades are .250 thick.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They often make blades wider so they can bend and make a larger sail (for more lift). So yes a wide high lift will take more power. I have several J-Thomas 3" wide high lifts so the sail (turned up portion) is larger and they have more lift than the standard Scag blades. It takes a lot of power the more lift you have. Scag makes some excellent blades that are lighter, easier on the clutch, and wear very well. They are made of an alloy for the larger Scags anyway. Lighter, stronger, and easier on the clutch. Only use super (wide) high lifts if you have the power to spare.