Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-18-2009, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Stihl BG85 won't stay running

I have a 3 year old BG85 (very light use) that has always started and has run fine. This week, I cannot get it to run. It starts after the normal few primer pumps and then turning the choke off, like normal. But then it sputters for 3 seconds then dies. If I pump the primer bulb once every 3 seconds it continues to rough idle. As soon as I stop it dies. I dumped the tank, and refilled with fresh 89oct mix. No luck. Checked the L and H settings, and the LA, but nothing changes. Air filter is clean. I pulled the fuel line from the carb and I can blow through it easily. I pulled the filter off the tank end and pinched it closed and blew into the other end, and could not detect any leaks.
Other than dropping it off at the dealer, does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong?
Old 06-18-2009, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford850 View Post
I have a 3 year old BG85 (very light use) that has always started and has run fine. This week, I cannot get it to run. It starts after the normal few primer pumps and then turning the choke off, like normal. But then it sputters for 3 seconds then dies. If I pump the primer bulb once every 3 seconds it continues to rough idle. As soon as I stop it dies. I dumped the tank, and refilled with fresh 89oct mix. No luck. Checked the L and H settings, and the LA, but nothing changes. Air filter is clean. I pulled the fuel line from the carb and I can blow through it easily. I pulled the filter off the tank end and pinched it closed and blew into the other end, and could not detect any leaks.
Other than dropping it off at the dealer, does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong?
Plugged screen in the muffler?
Old 06-18-2009, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

With very light use over three years, perhaps the carb is partially clogged. I will assume it sat idle for much of that time with fuel in the tank and carb. Good assumption? Lack of use is usually more detrimental than too much use.

I have a BG85, and it fires first or second pull. But, I use it many times each day, and it gets very heavy use in the Fall for leaf cleanup.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Carburetor.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check the spark arrest first if it's not that take apart and clean the carb and clean the exhaust port. That usually does the trick.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCX View Post
Check the spark arrest first if it's not that take apart and clean the carb and clean the exhaust port. That usually does the trick.
I too would check- inspect the spark plug brush and regap it. The carb could be fouled, and you may have a tiny piece of dirt stuck in one of the needle valves.

It may be worth your time just to drop it off and have it looked at/ fixed.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I'll take a look at the screen and carb again. I had the carb off and should have looked closer at it. I've cleaned and rebuilt larger carbs before, but never one from a small engine like this. Do you remove and soak them? Spray a cleaner into the air intake while installed? I have carb cleaners and Seafoam, so what's the best way to clean this little thing? Thanks for your help.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I usually take them apart and blow them out and only use spray cleaner if needed. If you did larger carbs then you won't have a problem.