Register free!

Old 05-20-2012, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

.... and if you paid $20K for a GSP package then somebody took you to the cleaners. I think we pay about $1500 a year for ours. Hell, I don't think that the entire Maxi-Com cost us $20K.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
don't get me wrong.... when it came out the Smart Line was impressive... especially for it's price. But there are now much better options out there. Hell, even Hunter's ET system works fairly well even though Hunter does very little to promote it.
I understand the SL is likely been passed but the company stands by it and has a history of doing so. Rainbird on the other hand has a history of putting out crap, saying opps.... and they have horrible support.

While they do have some good product they have sold much of their good will and ruined their reputation with me.

I have to make things right by my clients, I want a mfg and distributor I can expect to keep my good name. Rainbird has proven they will not do that.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well let's just agree that both you and I have had very different experiences with RB and their products and support. The one time I had Maxi-Com issues I had a tech on site within 24 hours. We had one CCU go down due to a surge and it was replaced within 2 days. If I need help with IQ then I call the GSP desk and they take care of it. Maybe you should just stick with W*M and Hunter!
Old 05-20-2012, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had issues with the SL. Besides crapping out on me a few times it doesn't measure rainfall. A 3" rain is the same as a 1" rain according to the SL. Regardless I would not mess with a weather based controller unless I had on site weather data and the ability to operate from my iPad online.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Well let's just agree that both you and I have had very different experiences with RB and their products and support. The one time I had Maxi-Com issues I had a tech on site within 24 hours. We had one CCU go down due to a surge and it was replaced within 2 days. If I need help with IQ then I call the GSP desk and they take care of it. Maybe you should just stick with W*M and Hunter!

I will thank you.

I had a Maxicom on a high profile site and it was the clients first maxi-com. They paid the 20K for the support package too. Problem was the GC had some issues and had to rebuild the pond system. There was no way to set up the Maxi-com as the pond / pump was down.

The owner had agreed to let me start connecting other sites to the maxicom for water management. I still have parts for converting some of the controllers, tip cans and such.

Rainbird took two weeks to tell us it would be two weeks to get the system set up after the pond repair was completed and we were now on the pump and meter.

The client pulled the plug on all the projects, they paid me for my parts. They installed a hydropoint system and have moved toward installing thousands of them. I could have had a few hundred of these myself and monitored the sites.

So sad... Not impressed and very short sighted of Rainbird.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've always believed in "brand loyalty", but what works for some guys is crap for others. The bottom line, is factory support and your outside sales guy/REP from the branch. If they don't take care of you, screw it, change brands and change branches, and let them know why you're doing it. When I started, the sign on the branch door said, "To the trade only" and you had to show proof that you were real: license, tax, bond, etc. They treated me like dirt and I finally went to the manager and told him, "I may or may not hit the big time, but are you willing to take the chance that I might hit it, and not do business with you?" Things changed, and I dealt with them for my entire career.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I've always believed in "brand loyalty", but what works for some guys is crap for others. The bottom line, is factory support and your outside sales guy/REP from the branch. If they don't take care of you, screw it, change brands and change branches, and let them know why you're doing it. When I started, the sign on the branch door said, "To the trade only" and you had to show proof that you were real: license, tax, bond, etc. They treated me like dirt and I finally went to the manager and told him, "I may or may not hit the big time, but are you willing to take the chance that I might hit it, and not do business with you?" Things changed, and I dealt with them for my entire career.
Exactly, my clients see me. These things are just tools I use to do my job.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
I had issues with the SL. Besides crapping out on me a few times it doesn't measure rainfall. A 3" rain is the same as a 1" rain according to the SL. Regardless I would not mess with a weather based controller unless I had on site weather data and the ability to operate from my iPad online.
Ever heard of the term usable rainfall?
Or should I say effective rainfall?
Old 05-20-2012, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Ever heard of the term usable rainfall?
Or should I say effective rainfall?
Yeah.... And the WM SL has no way of calculating effective rain fall as it does not measure rain fall. It only knows if it has rained. Not how much. It rely's on what is basically a cheap rain switch to tell it that it has rained.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2012, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Yeah.... And the WM SL has no way of calculating effective rain fall as it does not measure rain fall. It only knows if it has rained. Not how much. It rely's on what is basically a cheap rain switch to tell it that it has rained.
Posted via Mobile Device
It is not an ideal large water management product but I don't think this controller we are discussing is going to replace the Maxicom or any other unit like Hydropoint, Calsense and so forth.

It is a good reliable residential unit at a very fair price. I can set the sensor not to trigger to an effective level.