Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2009, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hanson View Post
LOL... thats why you don't post pics of a product and of it's manuals all over the internet when said product was given to you to test on a confidential basis!

Product was given with no said or implied conditions.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Does the new SMT controller allow for programming as a standard controller like the Smartline does?
I didn't seem to be able to do that on the unit that I had. Could specify particular days of week but not zone run times.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I tried to get a look at the new smart controller today but none in stock at Ewing or Sprinkler World (smaller local dist.) will call Horizon tomorrow. They both have them in the computer with pricing but none on the ground. I am anxious to get one on my house to try out. Thanks for the recommendation / review Jim.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 06-26-2009, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkus View Post
Does the new SMT controller allow for programming as a standard controller like the Smartline does?
I didn't seem to be able to do that on the unit that I had. Could specify particular days of week but not zone run times.
It does, yes. I should say, there is a way to do it. I was in a training session with the engineer who headed up all of the development of this unit a week or two ago. He showed us how that could be done but I can't remember how he did it. It was kind of hidden. It's kind of discouraged because obviously we're trying to get the controller to change the zone run times based on weather, not on set time. But there is a way to do that.

Also, there is a way to set a certain zone to come on every day, regardless of weather conditions. This would be handy if you had hanging baskets underneath the eaves of a house, for instance.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 06-26-2009, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener View Post
I tried to get a look at the new smart controller today but none in stock at Ewing or Sprinkler World (smaller local dist.) will call Horizon tomorrow. They both have them in the computer with pricing but none on the ground. I am anxious to get one on my house to try out. Thanks for the recommendation / review Jim.
Yah, none of the Ewing or Horizon branches around here are carrying it yet either. But Ewing told me they were planning to. My main supplier here (United Pipe, which is a store solely based in NW states) carries it in stock. And I bought 5 units from them for our own stock. But that's the only place locally that has it. And probably because I put some serious pressure on them to stock it as SOON as it became available. We're installing these on every new system we put in. So I wanted to make sure they were always available for us. But I don't think there's as much of a rush to get it in stock with the other suppliers.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
(United Pipe, which is a store solely based in NW states)
Good company, I started out with them in Tacoma. They were kind to a young upstart and taught me a lot of the trade. Jim, have you used the W*M SL and if so, what makes the RB better?
Old 06-26-2009, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't used the WM unit. But I did do a fair amount of comparison. As far as I can remember, these are the main advantages the RB unit has over the WM unit;

* RB uses an actual tipping rain bucket, WM uses just your regular rain sensor or rain stop. Doesn't measure actual rainfall.

* RB unit is a true smart controller, adjusting times up and down every day depending on current weather conditions, not just on or off.

* No shade factor on the WM unit. With the RB unit you specify each zone whether it's Full Sun, 75% sun, 50% sun, 25% sun, or Full Shade.

* Retrofit. You can remove the front panel on any ESP-M Indoor or Outdoor controller and just place this new faceplate in. I don't you can do that with the WM SL controller.

There are a number of other adjustments you can make with this controller that no other controller on the market has too. Like you can specifically adjust the precip. rate on every zone, if you know it. You can specifically set the exact elevation (to help calculate more accurate solar radiation). You can more specifically set what soil type, what sun conditions. You can manually adjust every setting if you want on your own. For instance, if the controller wants to cycle / soak for 5 minutes / 60 minutes you can manually change that to 10/30 if you want, or whatever. LOTS more settings than any other controller. Lots more options. A lot more control.

And of course, my favorite - the English/Espanol button. That's hot, I don't care what anyone else says. Once you see it in action you'll be like, "Damm that's cool!!!"

Old 06-26-2009, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Stopped in at my distributor today and he has some. Also got a brochure that says if I pay (or use Rain Bird Reward Points) and attend a 3 hr. seminar for the ESP-SMT that I'll get one of the controllers and other stuff too. Slight discount if signed up by 6/30.

This brochure just covers California, north to south, from 7/6 thru 7/17.... not sure where else they go.

www.rainbird.com/training
Old 06-26-2009, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't used the WM unit. But I did do a fair amount of comparison. As far as I can remember, these are the main advantages the RB unit has over the WM unit;

* RB uses an actual tipping rain bucket, WM uses just your regular rain sensor or rain stop. Doesn't measure actual rainfall. COOL

* RB unit is a true smart controller, adjusting times up and down every day depending on current weather conditions, not just on or off. Thats what the SL does - adjusts run times based on ET calculations

* No shade factor on the WM unit. With the RB unit you specify each zone whether it's Full Sun, 75% sun, 50% sun, 25% sun, or Full Shade. A dumbed down version of adjustments you can make on the SL

* Retrofit. You can remove the front panel on any ESP-M Indoor or Outdoor controller and just place this new faceplate in. I don't you can do that with the WM SL controller. Thats awesome!

There are a number of other adjustments you can make with this controller that no other controller on the market has too. Like you can specifically adjust the precip. rate on every zone, if you know it. You can do this with SLYou can specifically set the exact elevation (to help calculate more accurate solar radiation). Neat feature but you could make this adjustment in the SL tooYou can more specifically set what soil type, what sun conditionsYep, SL does this. You can manually adjust every setting if you want on your own. For instance, if the controller wants to cycle / soak for 5 minutes / 60 minutes you can manually change that to 10/30 if you want, or whatever. LOTS more settings than any other controller. Lots more options. A lot more control. Honestly need to look into this-we are in sand so little cycle soak programming is needed here

And of course, my favorite - the English/Espanol button. That's hot, I don't care what anyone else says. Once you see it in action you'll be like, "Damm that's cool!!!" Does the SL have this? I thought it did but can't remember and dont feel like making the effort to look this up.

I can't wait to try this out. I would like to compare it to the SL. Although I may resist and not support Rainbird (other than spray nozzles) because I don't like their marketing technique of plastering the Rainbird vs. Hunter list prices all over the place. Stupid, but if they feel the need, let them have at it.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Clifton View Post

I can't wait to try this out. I would like to compare it to the SL. Although I may resist and not support Rainbird (other than spray nozzles) because I don't like their marketing technique of plastering the Rainbird vs. Hunter list prices all over the place. Stupid, but if they feel the need, let them have at it.
Hunter brought that on themselves. They decided to start basically copying every product in the RB catalog and sell it for less so Rain Bird decided too beat them a their own game. Hunter may loose. I have heard that they have a fair amount of debt while Rain Bird has very little if any... if the economy stays down for too long Hunter may find themselves in aworld of hurt. If you're going to do battle with the big boys I guess you should make sure that you have the means to back up your actions!