Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-18-2009, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Should I get a Z-turn

I have about 2 acres to mow at my home and need a new mower. I thinking of a Zero turn mower. I have never been on one, but I want to cut my mowing time down. My question is how do these mowers do on steeper uneven ground. None of my yard is totally flat. I can mow it all safely on my current mower going across the grade, but it spins alot when turning and you are constantly shifting your weight.There are ditches to mow etc. Do these mowers spin like a normal mower. Will they ball-hoot going down steeper grades. Im thinking of a Husqvarna RZ5424.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mowing with a ZTR isn't like mowing with a tractor or ordinary rider. You'll need to practice with a bit before you'll be comfortable on hilly land. Also, I live in an area of Illinois that is sandy, and it's sometimes a challenge on thin lawns to keep from damaging the turf, if you hot-rod your turns or around trees, it will tear up the turf.

That said, ZTR's make quite a bit of sense for many people. One consideration I would offer is to look for a good used commercial-grade ZTR which will sell for around the same or less than a home-owner type unit. This time of year, dealers are really starting to make deals since the season is starting to wind down already, and most folks who are going to buy have done so already. Find a local lawn mower shop that deals with Husquvarnia, Ex-Mark, Kubota, Scag, etc and go check out what they have. Drive several units - they all have quirks, some you will like better than others. Do NOT but off brand loyality, and avoid Home Depot and Sears units like the palgue. Get a good unit from a good shop that will give you good service, and you'll be a lot happier in the end.

Hope this helps...good luck!
200? Husquvarnia straight shaft trim
Old 06-18-2009, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you need to ask, you do.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTR_Diesel View Post
Mowing with a ZTR isn't like mowing with a tractor or ordinary rider. You'll need to practice with a bit before you'll be comfortable on hilly land. Also, I live in an area of Illinois that is sandy, and it's sometimes a challenge on thin lawns to keep from damaging the turf, if you hot-rod your turns or around trees, it will tear up the turf.

That said, ZTR's make quite a bit of sense for many people. One consideration I would offer is to look for a good used commercial-grade ZTR which will sell for around the same or less than a home-owner type unit. This time of year, dealers are really starting to make deals since the season is starting to wind down already, and most folks who are going to buy have done so already. Find a local lawn mower shop that deals with Husquvarnia, Ex-Mark, Kubota, Scag, etc and go check out what they have. Drive several units - they all have quirks, some you will like better than others. Do NOT but off brand loyality, and avoid Home Depot and Sears units like the palgue. Get a good unit from a good shop that will give you good service, and you'll be a lot happier in the end.

Hope this helps...good luck!
Season Starting to Wind Down ALREADY ? i dont know about you but i have 5 1/2 months left.. with fall clean ups i worked until the end on November the last couple seasons..
Old 06-18-2009, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

ill be working up to the first of December at least. and make sure you buy from a reliable dealer. getting a slightly used commercial grade mower is a great idea
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 06-19-2009, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormy View Post
I have about 2 acres to mow at my home and need a new mower. I thinking of a Zero turn mower. I have never been on one, but I want to cut my mowing time down. My question is how do these mowers do on steeper uneven ground. None of my yard is totally flat. I can mow it all safely on my current mower going across the grade, but it spins alot when turning and you are constantly shifting your weight.There are ditches to mow etc. Do these mowers spin like a normal mower. Will they ball-hoot going down steeper grades. Im thinking of a Husqvarna RZ5424.
It depends. I also mow 2 acres and bought my shiny new 2002 Craftsman LT1000 42" 6 speed w/ Kohler Command 16 when I bought this place. Took 3 to 3.5 hours to mow once I got my yard in order. That little mower really worked hard, but it really beat me up. My land is not all that smooth either.

Ive been dreaming about a nice commercial ZTR for about 3 years now, and when my transaxle went out on the Craftsman I took it as a sign from the big man to break down and get one. I got a Scag Tiger Cub with a 48" Velocity Plus and Briggs 26 ELS. I almost looked at getting a Freedom Z or one of the semi-commercial Hustlers, Gravelys or Exmarks, but I REALLY liked the lil Tiger. I wanted something with BIG rear wheels and you do to because on a Z traction is everything, ESPECIALLY when cutting slopes. I have to tell you though, you need to be careful mowing near steep ditches and if theres any water in them DONT GET TOO CLOSE-- a heavy Z will sink and the tire will clog with mud and thats it-- you will need a truck and a tow strap to get it out.

Also, IMO dont go for anything over 52" of deck if your ground is uneven, because it will scalp easier and not leave even cuts far side to far side of deck if you have too wide a deck. Trust me, on a commercial machine 48" is enough for your land. My Tiger Cub will mow CIRCLES around any non-commercial Z or lawn tractor even if they have a 54" deck.

I agree with the other guys here-- if a new commercial unit is too steep, find a good used one for less. The difference between commercial heavy duty and ANYTHING you find a Sears, Lowes, or Home Depot is HUGE.

What are you using now and how long does it take you to cut on average?
Old 06-19-2009, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

If the hills are real steep, try a Wright Stander. Uneven ground..no wider than 52 and dont cut low. Want to sit down and relax a bit then dont go with a Stander. If you buy a ride on Z turn and the ground is uneven and bumpy then buy a mower that is either has full suspension(like Ferris) or no suspension at all. I had 2 Lesco (JUNK) Zturn and they had a central pivot point which made bumps worse. The tire would catch and pop up more so that my new Toros w/o any suspension. The lower the center of gravity the better! If you buy a vaccum system for it, keep the blower facing up hill, the extra few pounds makes a dif.!
Toro 21" pusher
F350 pickup w/ 21ft trailer
F350 dump body for grass and salting in winter
2 F550 Stake body dumps w/ lift gates
3 Komatsu loaders(1999, 2001 & 2009
2 New Holland skid steers (665 & ls 170)
Ford Tractor
Kubota escavator
Hudson trailer
F350 pickup (2009)