Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-25-2014, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn Treatment 101

I'm extremely interested in listing to anyone that would like to help me learn all i need to know or where i can go to find information on lawn treatment. I currently have a solid lawn care biz but i want to take it to the next level and treat the yards i currently cut and more. Does anybody have any insight to where i can find the proper information to get this started?

Thanks!
Mike
Old 09-26-2014, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about your state but I know in Connecticut you need a pesticide applicators license to fertilize and treat lawns
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2014, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea I know I have to get license... I was just talking about learning what's spray/pellets is best for different grass/critters
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2014, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You should probably contact your states extension office and find out what you need to study, or if they have study materials available for the test. In georgia, I ordered the books from the extension office to study for the test. It had some good info in it. However, its not like your gonna read it and then know everything. But its a start. Theres alot of good information on this forum. Also if you can find a local chemical supplier, even if you have a local john deere landscapes. They may be able to help you with a program that will work for your region. Working for somebody else doing it is the best way to learn, but i know how that isn't always possible for everybody. Start with your own lawn of course.. or friends and family.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So as inzane mentioned, check out JDL or Lesco and see what they are recommending. I know back in the day Lesco had handouts for basic program recommendations.

Your local extension might also be a good place to look. Here in GA there's a commercial pesticide handbook which will help you shoot problems such as which products control various weeds and safe on what turf.

And yes, you will need to get your license, but doing so is probably not going to give you the info you're looking for. It's really just to make sure you're not an idiot.