Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-19-2009, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Delaer or Craig's List to buy a used ZTR?

I'm a HO who takes his lawncare seriously looking to upgrade mowers. Is Craig's List or a dealer my best bet to pick up a used commercial ZTR? Just curious on people's opinions. Many thanks.

Last edited by Wizz; 06-19-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The newspaper or craigslist will be your best bet for any kind of a "deal".

Dealer's usually make a higher profit on a used mower than they do a new one (same with car dealers.... much more profit in used cars)

And the dealer usually knows little to nothing about the actual history of the mower on his floor. Some will lead to believe otherwise but as soon as something goes wrong with it, it becomes "well is was a used mower, obviously we can't guarantee used equipment when we have no way to verify it's history"

And when they tell you that they've "checked it over"..... means the lowest paid guy in the shop maybe power washed it.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's kind of 50-50, at least with the dealer you don't have to worry about having your money taken at gun point,
but as was pointed out most dealers are not too keen on selling used even if their whole back lot is slam full of those things,
and certainly there are deals on craigslist and I am sure probably most of them are not like that but I would advise caution.

Because hard times unfortunately spawns more than good deals, it's hard to tell sometimes whether it's a scam or a set up
or just a plain good deal without going out there, but then once you get out there...
Then it's really something to give some thought to, we're usually talking an expense involving at least a thousand dollars, cash.

Hence I recommend bringing a friend along, if for no other reason than two heads think better than one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaferhaus View Post
And when they tell you that they've "checked it over"..... means the lowest paid guy in the shop maybe power washed it.
Lmfao ain't that the truth thou...
Old 06-19-2009, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

craigslist all the way just make sure you know what your looking for and at when looking at a used one or take someone with you for a second oppinion
and lots of STIHL and Echo handhelds

Running Solo