Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2009, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Member

how to edge shallow stilh kombisystem stick edger fcs

I've worked really hard leveling out my lawn and do not wish to erod the edges of sand with my stick edger. Whats the best way to work a stick edger so that it is shallow but effective. The manual says the stick edger shouldn't go lower than .20" below soil surface, however, unless I duck as I edger and hold it very far back on the back wheel, I really can't get it higher than about 1 to 1.5" above the soil.

will a shaft extension help, or is a shaft extension more used on say pole pruner/trimmer.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudx View Post
I've worked really hard leveling out my lawn and do not wish to erod the edges of sand with my stick edger. Whats the best way to work a stick edger so that it is shallow but effective. The manual says the stick edger shouldn't go lower than .20" below soil surface, however, unless I duck as I edger and hold it very far back on the back wheel, I really can't get it higher than about 1 to 1.5" above the soil.

will a shaft extension help, or is a shaft extension more used on say pole pruner/trimmer.

Your statement doesn't make much sense..."2 tenths of an inch" deep???
That's obiously, wrong. Then you say "1 to 1.5" above the soil" ????
Makes no sense at all...
Redmax EBZ8001 Backpack Blower
Stihl FS90 string trimmer
Stihl Kombi 130 System w/cultivator/trimmer/edger/power brooms
SnoWay 29 series 8ft plow
Old 06-20-2009, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

Sand as opposed to soil? In any case, I edge about an inch deep with my stick edger. Then I blow whatever soil it pulled up back onto the lawn. Continue to do that and that soil will make any erosion problems a moot point. You could try using a shorted blade on the edger, but that lowers the blade tip speed, and then uncut grass will droop over onto the walkways.

I found that my Redmax stick edger left too many blades of grass uncut and protruding over the edge. I went to a slightly longer blade and that solved that problem.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

the manual for stilh says not to edge deeper than .20", no kidding. I think 1inch is reasonable. Sand, sure I could use soil, but I have found sand much easier to get a smooth flat surface than top soil. I use a levelawn tool to spread it over a heavly aerated clay soil to mix the soil profiles. the river sand fills the holes, improves drainage and levels surface and works very well.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

well i just use my trimmer for edging. it a bit tough for the first cut but its really quick and easy to mantain
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 06-21-2009, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

I have topdressed my lawn with sand...you will be fine edging as you would have if you didnt topdress.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."