Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2009, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Cub Cadet Tank striping issues

Does anyone have any idea how to make a Cub Cadet tank stripe decent? We have a 60" that flat out refuses to lay a stripe. It has the factory so called striping kit on it and hi lift blades and still nothing. Just curious before I sell this thing off if anyone had any other ideas. Thanks....
Old 06-20-2009, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Will Not Stripe

If the deck is level from side to side and it is about 1/4" lower in front - and the rear tires have equal pressure as well as the front tires have equal pressure -- and the striping roller is in the lowest position and your have the deck set to 3-1/2" and it still won't stripe -- I don't have any solution.

Nosmo
Old 06-20-2009, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Stripes Just About Useless Here

In my part of the country Bermuda grows in 90% of the yards. I can lay stripes if the cut is set to 3-1/2 inches but they only last maybe part of the day.

Nosmo
Old 06-20-2009, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I know the deck is squared away, or at least that is what my dealer tells me. I had them check this thing because I'm so frustrated with it. I guess I also should have mentioned it is the command cut deck. I don't know? I really just don't get it. I have been told that it is a baffle issue with these decks. Thanks for the input though, it is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Down the road from where they used to make Saturn cars.
You can check the deck pitch yourself. Just a simple 1 ft. ruler is all you need and an air gauge. Preferably a digital air gauge since it's hard to get an accurate reading on a regular air gauge at such low pressure. The striping kit on your mower has a lower set of holes in the rear of the deck. Just unbolt the brackets off the rear of the deck and see if there aren't a lower set of holes you can use. I'm not positive that's how it is with your Cub but, that's how it was with my old Enforcer.
2 Echo SRM-210
1 Echo SRM-225
Tanaka TCG22EASSLP
Husqvarna 125 & 150 BT
6.5' x 12 ' Trailer
Stihl 025 18"
Husqvarna 460 24"
Old 06-20-2009, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennington Lawncare View Post
You can check the deck pitch yourself. Just a simple 1 ft. ruler is all you need and an air gauge. Preferably a digital air gauge since it's hard to get an accurate reading on a regular air gauge at such low pressure. The striping kit on your mower has a lower set of holes in the rear of the deck. Just unbolt the brackets off the rear of the deck and see if there aren't a lower set of holes you can use. I'm not positive that's how it is with your Cub but, that's how it was with my old Enforcer.
Thanks for the info, I'll check and see if maybe there is a lower set of holes on the deck. That as far as I know hasn't been checked yet.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes the command cut deck has lower and upper holes for mounting the roller. When the roller is mounted in the lower holes the cutting height should not be set lower than 2-1/2" but can be raised to 5".

To check the deck pitch move the mower on a flat concrete or simular surface. Check all the tires for the pressure you wish to use. My tank is 12 on the rears and 10 on the fronts. Set the blade on one side to run straight fore and aft. Measure from the tip at the rear to the concreted then measure from the tip and the front to the concrete. Do the same on the opposite side .

There should be about 1/4" pitch lower on the tips of each blade. If there isn't you're going to have to do it or have the dealer do the adjustments. If you want to do it yourself your manual will give you the steps for these adjustments.

I haven't heard of any problems with baffles on the command cut deck. You may be thinking about the newer select cut deck which does have adjustments to move the settings but I am not familiar with the newer deck.

Nosmo
Old 06-20-2009, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Those are usually one of the best striping machines out there , Why such concern over stripes? Do your customers care, mine dont unless they are not straight.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawns Etc View Post
Those are usually one of the best striping machines out there , Why such concern over stripes? Do your customers care, mine don't unless they are not straight.
Even if our customers don't, we do. We have a goal to be the premier grass company in our area. So even if our customers don't notice, we do and it's not acceptable. If we can't get this thing to stripe then we sell it off and acquire two walk behinds that will stripe. Exmark or Scag most likely.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

move your rollers behind the deck to the lower set of holes, you get a lot better roll on the grass with the cub cadets.