Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-20-2009, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just tryed a Hustler Diesel and like it...

My local Hustler dealer let me take home a new diesel zero turn for the weekend. I put about 5 hrs on it and I have to say I am really impressed. It's a 60in cut, 25 hp Shiboro(SP) Diesel engine. l.e.d gas guage. It was smooth, powerful and did a great job cutting in thick and not so thick grass. I currently own 2 John Deere 997 Diesel ztracks and a wright zk 31 hp gas stander. I thick I am going to go ahead and buy this Hustler. Hustler has a special going, this Hustler, new, $9990 plus it has a 3 year warranty on the mower. Also my dealer can get me 0% for 36 mnths. Ill try to post some pics of it. Just wanted to get the word out there for anyone looking for a cheaper-priced diesel zero turn that seems to do a great job and come with a good warranty.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a nice machine.

Any clue if the pricing is available everywhere? I think it's a little heavier than I care for on the lawns down here, but that's a great price.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

from what I hear that price is nationwide, and the 0 percent finaincing is through sheffield which I assume is nationwide as well.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

wow tell us more about your experience!!!! sounds great a hustler diesel is rare to hear about! i saw the cat diesel but not the shibura! that is also how you spell it shibura. just so you know. how was the fuel consumption??
Old 06-21-2009, 03:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We used one last week when my buddy's Super Z was in the shop, it is definitely a beast and did not bog down, ever. However, my buddy's Super Z had only 170 hours and has been in the shop twice 1) for the starter 2) for the clutch 3) and now the plastic where the key and electric PTO is located is starting to peel up. The diesel only had 12 hours when we picked it up and at 30 hours a spring snapped on it....

I really like hustlers and would not really hesitate to buy one, but I am starting to wonder about there build quality..
Old 06-21-2009, 04:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

That sounds like a good price! But I pretty much don't like Sheffield.
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 SD XLT 7.3PSD
6X16' Tandem axle trailer
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Bobcat Predator Pro 61" 26LC
Simplicity Legacy 60" Vanguard Diesel
Redmax EB7001, 7150, 7500
Stihl BG55, SH85
Echo SRM-210, SRM-225 (3), Dolmar 22C
(2) Echo PAS-265
Old 06-21-2009, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Are you sure that price is correct? That sounds awefully cheap. I looked at one yesterday and it was $13,000+. The Scag diesel is $16,000-that's what I really want but I'm not paying that much.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You better pull the Trigger on that Hustler diesel deal at $9,990 that is minimal $4,000 below Kubota, John Deere, or Bad Boy diesels with WAYYY more diesel engine. Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicLawnCareInc View Post
My local Hustler dealer let me take home a new diesel zero turn for the weekend. I put about 5 hrs on it and I have to say I am really impressed. It's a 60in cut, 25 hp Shiboro(SP) Diesel engine. l.e.d gas guage. It was smooth, powerful and did a great job cutting in thick and not so thick grass. I currently own 2 John Deere 997 Diesel ztracks and a wright zk 31 hp gas stander. I thick I am going to go ahead and buy this Hustler. Hustler has a special going, this Hustler, new, $9990 plus it has a 3 year warranty on the mower. Also my dealer can get me 0% for 36 mnths. Ill try to post some pics of it. Just wanted to get the word out there for anyone looking for a cheaper-priced diesel zero turn that seems to do a great job and come with a good warranty.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You better pull the Trigger on that Hustler diesel deal at $9,990 that is minimal $4,000 below Kubota, John Deere, or Bad Boy diesels those listed with WAYYY more diesel engine. You think the Hustler 25 hp Shiboro is equal to your Yanmar 4 banger diesel in the JD 997???, if so Shiboro or Hustler has grossly underestimated the little diesel's hp/torque spec sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicLawnCareInc View Post
Old 06-21-2009, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroLandscaper View Post
We used one last week when my buddy's Super Z was in the shop, it is definitely a beast and did not bog down, ever. However, my buddy's Super Z had only 170 hours and has been in the shop twice 1) for the starter 2) for the clutch 3) and now the plastic where the key and electric PTO is located is starting to peel up. The diesel only had 12 hours when we picked it up and at 30 hours a spring snapped on it....

I really like hustlers and would not really hesitate to buy one, but I am starting to wonder about there build quality..
That clutch wire problem can repeat itself over and over. I carry the pigtails extra for my super z because they fail every year from the heat or something.
I like my Super Z but your friend sounds like he's off to the same start I had. Only mine didn't stop until yr 3 after they fixed everything twice in most cases under warranty. That sounds like a great deal if you need a diesel (to heavy for my lawns). But Hustlers break down a lot...expect it.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong