Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-21-2009, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Member

new protect gear pump

protec gear pump, I am having trouble with the spray pattern and coverage,

i am finding oil based is much different that CT. When I spray, I believe we call it a fan, at the top and bottom of the fan I have a solid line, and inbetween the solid lines is bubbly airated sealer, it takes a couple passes to cover the asphalt. I just picked it up yesterday and was told the everythings set perfectly. but it doesnt seem to be. perhaps pressure is too low?
Old 06-21-2009, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanoverfiste View Post
protec gear pump, I am having trouble with the spray pattern and coverage,

i am finding oil based is much different that CT. When I spray, I believe we call it a fan, at the top and bottom of the fan I have a solid line, and inbetween the solid lines is bubbly airated sealer, it takes a couple passes to cover the asphalt. I just picked it up yesterday and was told the everythings set perfectly. but it doesnt seem to be. perhaps pressure is too low?
There is lot of answers to that question. Check the tip and filter on the wand.
It could be the way you spray maybe your to high up off the ground also the wind will effect the spray pattern. The pressure may be to low.

The best thing to do is check the tip and filter then try spraying, if the result is not what you are looking adjust the pressure of the pressure relief vale till you get what you want.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

for sure, just dont want to dump excess product on a driveway, i cant practice on my driveway as its gravel..
The tip and filter are fine, im thinking it might be a combination of a few things, mostly myself being green to oil based sealers.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

did my neighbours driveway as a tester.. and it looks as if theres air bubbles in the sealer,
Old 06-22-2009, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanoverfiste View Post
did my neighbours driveway as a tester.. and it looks as if theres air bubbles in the sealer,
You can used some peices if card broad to practice of spraying. As for air Bibles in the sealer is that when spraying or when it is dry on driveway way. If it is when it is dry it could be oil spots on driveway has happen to me a few times try and prime the spots first. If is like that when wet from the spray there might be something in the sealer. You said you change from coal tar the black mac did you clean out the tank and lines and make sure there was no water left the system, because if there was water it could that problem. Remember water and oil do not mix.

Hope this helps
Old 06-22-2009, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I have new lines, I will empty the tank out into a 55gallon drum and go get some new black mac. When i did pik up the black mac, the guy could only squeeze out about 90 litres into my tank. and the shipment wasnt coming for a couple days.. perhaps I have some contaminents from the bottom of their tank..?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

may need to change the spray tip too, as mine do that when they wear out, or need to play with different tip sizes to see what works best in what weather.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice guys, its much appreciated , I will try a smaller tip on my next driveway, I am also pumping out my tank and putting fresh stuff in for the next job..