Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2009, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danscapes View Post
What the hell?!?!?!
Yes, some of my customers want the plugs raked up too. I tell them that the plugs will go back into the ground. But, some still want' em raked up. I know I'd be saving alot of time if my employees didn't have to go through all the trouble.

Stingray
Old 06-22-2009, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Parting thought on this.... if I had to do aeration with the old school beat you up aerators for only 1.5 to 1.8/2x the mow rate I'd quit offering aerations as stand alone service. You are better off leaving this service to your competitors who think this is a gold mine. Then focus on getting more mowing accounts lined up. Even though mowing can be less per hour....the mowing season will bring in more cash flow. Really depends if you are doing this full time or just part time - hired help or solo.

Since I already own a Plugr 850 Hydro that pulls more plugs per square foot than most other machines and is easier to operate unless you have tons of rocks - I will proceed with the service. I'm leaning towards getting a Lawn Solution WB unit for back up since it looks so blasted easy to use.
I saw the Lawn Solutions aerator video. The machine looks easy to use. The yard in the video doesn't exist for me. Most of my yards have slopes, trees with roots sticking out, hard spots, etc. I have a Plugr that would be easy to use if all my lawns were flat and easy like the one in the video.

Has anyone on here used the Lawn Solutions aerator? I couldn't find anyone that owns one. I would like to know how they like it.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

after getting drug around my 1/3 ac lot today- i would have gladly paid someone to do it for me. It was about $65 to rent for 4 hours but geez I'm beat
Old 06-22-2009, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray63 View Post
Yes, some of my customers want the plugs raked up too. I tell them that the plugs will go back into the ground. But, some still want' em raked up. I know I'd be saving alot of time if my employees didn't have to go through all the trouble.

Stingray
What do you charge for plug rake up?

I had one customer push me on the plug clean up but he finally agreed to let them stay on the lawn. I did get stuck running around marking sprinklers as he advanced each zone. Lets just say this was my lowest profit margin aeration of 2009 thus far.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Man, I charge a $40 minimum, and that's $15 more than most of my competitors! Aeration is worthless out here. If it weren't so important/expected, I wouldn't even bother with it.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Im at $100 minimum. If someone told me to rake the plugs , I would tell em Im not interested in aerating for you.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Im at $100 minimum. If someone told me to rake the plugs , I would tell em Im not interested in aerating for you.
X2 Same on price and the raking
Old 06-23-2009, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can understand why customers with heavy clay soils want the plugs raked in... clay plugs can take a long time to break up. I've read dragging a piece of cyclone fence around works pretty well for that, but I have sandy loam. The plugs disappear within days.

Mowing prices here are well below the national average with all the day workers, illegal companies and low ballers, so my price for aeration is 3X's mowing. If that is $75 for 3 to 4k of turf, overseeding is another $40-50 on top.

I will, WILL one way or another get a Lawn Solutions aerator this year, either rental or buy. I an DONE with Ryans and the rest.

As for the poster who said that the lawns in the Turf Solutions video did not resemble his lawns.... I saw that video.... the guy is on a slope using ONE hand! Do you aerate roller coasters, or what?
Old 06-24-2009, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
I can understand why customers with heavy clay soils want the plugs raked in... clay plugs can take a long time to break up. I've read dragging a piece of cyclone fence around works pretty well for that, but I have sandy loam. The plugs disappear within days.

Mowing prices here are well below the national average with all the day workers, illegal companies and low ballers, so my price for aeration is 3X's mowing. If that is $75 for 3 to 4k of turf, overseeding is another $40-50 on top.

I will, WILL one way or another get a Lawn Solutions aerator this year, either rental or buy. I an DONE with Ryans and the rest.

As for the poster who said that the lawns in the Turf Solutions video did not resemble his lawns.... I saw that video.... the guy is on a slope using ONE hand! Do you aerate roller coasters, or what?
The video I watched for the Lawn Solutions AERATOR shows one of those flat easy yards. This video is not on their website. The link to the aerator video is on one of the posts. I think the video you saw is for the Lawn Solutions REVITALIZER. There are slopes and the machine looks easy to use, but it's a seeder, not an aerator. Maybe there is another video I haven't seen that shows the aerator on slopes.

I'm thinking about getting one too. It does look easy to use. I have a Plugr now. The Plugr is not real tough on me on flat lawns and pulls good plugs in good conditions. I have the 800 model and the hardest part is pushing it up on the trailer. The Plugr video makes it look easy, but they use easy turf in the video.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

well, I can tell for sure, 1/4 acre I did for $200 then another customer around $150 but she ordered seeding and fert, so I lowered the price for aeration. I got my aerator from crags list for $25 bucks clean it painted fixed some things and it earned me around a $1000 so far.