Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-21-2009, 10:36 PM
TurfRyder's Avatar
TurfRyder TurfRyder is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Green Bay, Wi.
Posts: 74
Oops ~ Striped a Couple of Lawns with my Z.

I have done 100's of apps with-out striping and low and behold I had some problems with a couple of immature lawns recently and was wondering why it happened.

The striping that occurred happened on new lawns about a year old. Both were weed infested as well. After applying a granular with dimension narrow bands of dark green popped up. The 3ft. bands are about 20 ft. apart. I was laying down fert and spraying at the same time so my spacing was pretty tight.

My thinking is that my Z was tossing a bit too much fert to the right. That would explain the wide spacing of the bands. I noticed that I have had this problem only when using granular with Dimension. I tried placing the comb all the way back and it still seems to throw more fert to the right than the left due to the clockwise rotation of the impeller. I did a property right next to one that striped and it turned out perfect. I had the same spacing and calibration on the striped property. The only difference was that it was an established lawn while the other was not.

Its kind of embarrassing that I striped these lawns as that is something I have not done since I was a noob and I only did that a few times back then.

Has anyone one else had a similar problem with their Z throwing down a bit more fert to the right when using Dimension? Do you think this is the reason for the striping? I am sorry I don't have any pics but if you have had any similar experiences please share them. Thanks!

EDIT ~ I'll try to take some pics tomorrow and post them.

Last edited by TurfRyder; 06-21-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Grandview Grandview is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: WI
Posts: 3,246
I doubt that it was the dimension. I always stay in a circle pattern to reduce my striping chances.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-22-2009, 07:02 AM
EVM EVM is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 349
I have seen this on a couple of my lawns after using dimension in the spring. I think it is the lawn being slow to green up or the product because my patterns are dead on.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-22-2009, 07:09 AM
TurfRyder's Avatar
TurfRyder TurfRyder is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Green Bay, Wi.
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandview View Post
I doubt that it was the dimension. I always stay in a circle pattern to reduce my striping chances.
I can tell you this with certainty. Granular with Dimension lays down a little more to the right with my machine. This may not be significant on most established lawns but my thinking is it may be a problem with unestablished ones.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-22-2009, 08:01 AM
RigglePLC's Avatar
RigglePLC RigglePLC is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 9,259
New lawns are pale. Much more likely to have this problem. You have stripes of green every second swath because when you go north it throws more to the east and when you turn around and go south it throws more to the west, double covering the area you just covered.
Tricky--but using the square spiral pattern may help--on new lawns only.

You could use some duct tape to cover part of the hopper opening--as you try to get the fert to land further outward from the center of the impeller. Let us know how you come out, and show us the pics.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-22-2009, 10:33 AM
sprayboy sprayboy is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfRyder View Post
I have done 100's of apps with-out striping and low and behold I had some problems with a couple of immature lawns recently and was wondering why it happened.

The striping that occurred happened on new lawns about a year old. Both were weed infested as well. After applying a granular with dimension narrow bands of dark green popped up. The 3ft. bands are about 20 ft. apart. I was laying down fert and spraying at the same time so my spacing was pretty tight.

My thinking is that my Z was tossing a bit too much fert to the right. That would explain the wide spacing of the bands. I noticed that I have had this problem only when using granular with Dimension. I tried placing the comb all the way back and it still seems to throw more fert to the right than the left due to the clockwise rotation of the impeller. I did a property right next to one that striped and it turned out perfect. I had the same spacing and calibration on the striped property. The only difference was that it was an established lawn while the other was not.

Its kind of embarrassing that I striped these lawns as that is something I have not done since I was a noob and I only did that a few times back then.

Has anyone one else had a similar problem with their Z throwing down a bit more fert to the right when using Dimension? Do you think this is the reason for the striping? I am sorry I don't have any pics but if you have had any similar experiences please share them. Thanks!

EDIT ~ I'll try to take some pics tomorrow and post them.
Put the comb all the way forward and the pull it back very, very slowly and you will see the pattern shift to the left. It is a very small adjustment .
__________________
Terry
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Young Bros's Avatar
Young Bros Young Bros is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Spirit Lake, IA
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfRyder View Post
I can tell you this with certainty. Granular with Dimension lays down a little more to the right with my machine. This may not be significant on most established lawns but my thinking is it may be a problem with unestablished ones.
We were thinking that on the unestablished lawn it will be easier to notice mistakes. Plus on an unestablished turf the prills might roll further.
__________________
1999 GMC W5500, Wanner Rig, PTO
1993 Isuzu NPR, Neelco Rig, PTO
2012 Turfco T3000i
2004 Perma Green Ultra
2 Spyker 288 Supers
6 Shurflo electric backpacks
2 Husqvarna 356 low noise blowers
Ryan Mataway Overseeder
Plugr PL410H
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-22-2009, 06:40 PM
TurfRyder's Avatar
TurfRyder TurfRyder is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Green Bay, Wi.
Posts: 74
Thanks for all your input! All I can say is I always overlap my pattern to match up with my tire tracks. That is what I have been told to do and it has worked well for the 500 hours I have logged on my machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayboy View Post
Put the comb all the way forward and the pull it back very, very slowly and you will see the pattern shift to the left. It is a very small adjustment .
I tried that and it works great. I noticed a much more even pattern with that comb setting. Thank you kindly for that info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Bros View Post
We were thinking that on the unestablished lawn it will be easier to notice mistakes. Plus on an unestablished turf the prills might roll further.
I never thought of the prills rolling. I can see now that that could have contributed to the problem.

I managed to take some pics today so here you go.

This site had the most striping as you can see:









Here is a pic of the second site. I ran some fert in the opposite direction last week and the stripes are less pronounced now:



Thanks again for all your input everyone! Hopefully I have learned enough to prevent this from happening again. I was a bit embarrassed and surprised to say the least.

Last edited by TurfRyder; 06-22-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-22-2009, 07:14 PM
humble1's Avatar
humble1 humble1 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 2,308
just curious what was the spacing?
__________________
1-Z-plugger
1-lawnsolutions aerator wb
1-Bluebird 48 tow behind
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-22-2009, 07:31 PM
TurfRyder's Avatar
TurfRyder TurfRyder is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Green Bay, Wi.
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
just curious what was the spacing?
Both sites were weed infested so my spacing was tight ~ 7 - 8 ft. Maybe closer to 7. My impeller speed was set at just a hair under 2 so as not to get too much overlap. I have run with these settings on 100's of apps before with no problems. I think prill roll and the comb setting I had may have contributed to the problem. Next time I do an app on an unestablished lawn like these I am going to slow things down a bit and set the impeller speed just a tad lower.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:27 AM.

Page generated in 0.10883 seconds with 7 queries