Register free!

Old 08-03-2009, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Does anyone know of any difference between Mosquito Barrier and Garlic Barrier. They look to be exactly the same.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

So I have tried MB out. Here is my initial thoughts and applications. 2oz a gallon/ back pack sprayer fine mist (per directions) I have done my house, our owners house, a neighbors and our office managers. All have varying level of mosquito problems.
First the smell WOW, I thought I knew what to expect but WOW was it strong even after dilution. It is NOT however an unpleasant odor. Just VERY garlicy.
Second, I don't think it kills mosquitoes as they claim. I directly sprayed mosquitoes at our office managers house and didn't see any dead nor did she. I may be wrong on this one.
Third. backpack spraying it sucks, takes too long.
Fourth. I do believe it works, everyone noticed a reduction in mosquitoes for a couple of days (we have had rain since the apps) but not much control now (it has been 10 days since applications).

I was wondering if mixing in a sticker would "make it last longer" not allowing it to evaporate as quickly. Any thoughts??
I do need a larger volume applicator to make this cost effective and the product more effective.
What about a blower mister. anyone use this?
Old 08-03-2009, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As far as I know, GB & MB are identical. phasthound could tell you for sure.

As far as spraying the product, I consider it the same as when we spray dormant oil on trees/shrubs (100% spray coverage is the best), so high pressure & volume offers the best control - especially when spraying shrubs & stuff.

I sprayed our home & office last week, and now there are no skiters here (I figure my neighbors are bitching though) . I even sprayed inside our office (fine mist) cuz gnats were getting through the window screens -- now no gnats either.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just ordered 5 cases. Plan on spraying with a tree gun and a JD9 gun at 200psi at full coverage. Planning on spraying mid next week if the weather cooperates. I will report back as well.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlclawnguy View Post
Does anyone know of any difference between Mosquito Barrier and Garlic Barrier. They look to be exactly the same.
For some reason, there's less AI in Garlic Barrier QUART sizes only. Otherwise, they're identical.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Member

well the quart size is only a 10% solution but is basically the same. It just gets mixed differently. I'm trying to compare the 1 gallon bottles.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
well the quart size is only a 10% solution but is basically the same. It just gets mixed differently. I'm trying to compare the 1 gallon bottles.
The gallons are the same...I was trying to say in my last post that all other sizes but the quarts have the same AI.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
I just ordered 5 cases. Plan on spraying with a tree gun and a JD9 gun at 200psi at full coverage. Planning on spraying mid next week if the weather cooperates. I will report back as well.
did you spray yet?
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 08-10-2009, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
There is no difference in the gallon bottles except marketing.

I'm not convinced it kills, but it does work well as a repellent if used as directed. The instructions state that for best results, do not apply if rain is expected in 24-48 hours. It needs time to be absorbed by the plant. You can help this by adding 1 oz of liquid humate to 10 gal of mix.

I applied it by hand sprayer for the first time while on vacation. It worked, but I do not recommend any professional to make applications this way.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 08-10-2009, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
did you spray yet?
Sorry, yes I sprayed houses on Friday. I was so sick of smelling the garlic by the end of the day.....

It does have a solid order to it. But I had one of the homeowners update me on how long they felt it was before the smell was not as noticeable. They called and told me it was about 20-30 minutes before it stopped being extremely noticeable and about an hour before they stopped smelling it all together.

So that is good.

The bad is that I got one complaint yesterday about some mosquitoes. Irrigation system is off and no rain until tonite.

I will retreat on Wednesday as we are getting heavy rain tonite and good chance again tomorrow.

I am thinking maybe that I did not get enough onto the arborvitae around the pool area as this was where the problem was. It was also the first house I ever sprayed with the barrier. So at this point I am assuming it was my fault. I mixed at 1 gal per 50 of water, but after looking at my usages, I may have gone a bit lighter than I should have with the finished product on this house.

But, one case down and only one complaint so far. I will update after the follow-up application.

Welcome back Barry, hope you are well rested for the fall run