Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2009, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign View Post
I'm leaning towards the 130 because of some comments I read about it being much better for edging. Plus, the price and weight aren't THAT much different than the 110.
That right there, to me at least, is the biggest reason to passover the 110 and go with the 130.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I feel that for almost 3 acres commercial equipment is the better way to go in my humble 'opinion'...it'll pay off for itself if you're servicing it yourself, especially if you've had problems with current/past equipment. I have the 110 and it has good power and is very responsive considering the carb adjustments are fine tuned for weather-temp changes. In the heavier stuff near the banks of the creek I use ~3/4 throttle...~50% throttle for the avg stuff. If the price diff is small then why not go for the 130 in case you need to get into some rougher stuff. Just find a dealer you like that has what you need and he'll take care of you. My wife and I really like the dealer we bought our mower from, the owner and employees were a pleasure to deal with. Good luck
Old 07-07-2009, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

$300 for a commercial-grade trimmer that'll probably last 20 years in a homeowner's hands is cheaper than buying a new Ryobi or Craftsman trimmer every couple of years.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a little over an acre of land, and as my homeowner equipment dies, i am replacing with all commercial grade. I am tired of repairing everything. Buy the commercial now, don't waste your time with the homeowner stuff.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I've got just under 3 acres and am looking to get a new trimmer for residential use. I've been looking at either the dedicated trimmers or kombi units from Stihl. I was thinking about either the 90, 110, or 130 units, but am wondering if those might be overkill and a waste of extra money. I definitely plan on getting a hedge trimmer attachment for whichever one I get, and might be interested in some other attachments at some point in the future. I want something that's going to last and can do the job well, but I don't want to go overboard either.

Thanks for your advice.
Get a km 90 edges easily with a straight shaft and trims excellent If you do anything like pole pruning get a 130
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2009, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Last year I owned nothing not even a lawn mower as I was paying to have my lawn cut. I bought an Echo PB-413H BP blower from Home Depot last October to help with leaves and to keep my driveway clean during the off season. I then decided I would take over my lawn since I have enough free time and like tinkering with mechanical gear; I only have half an acre but it is hilly. I found a landscaper on craigslist who was selling his small equipment, some of it rather new. I checked it all out and bought everything for $500.00. I was adamant not to buy unreliable equipment. I wanted power, reliability and easy serviceability since i service everything myself. As a kid i used to do a few lawns in my neighborhood for summer money and remembered that commercial equipment is actually easier to service and fix. I would only buy commercial quality, think about what you need don't purchase machines you will be unlikely to use. I have altered my yard so that i can quickly mow it in 15 - 20 minutes with a reel mower another 10 minutes with the trimmer and 5-8 minutes front and back with the blower. The yard looks much better now than when i paid to have it done. Well thought out shrub beds can not only make your house more attractive it can also reduce your maintenance time. Recently I sold the PB-413H and bought the more powerful Shindaiwa EB-802RT blower, the greater power of this blower has allowed me to finish much faster and cleanup other yard tasks with ease. So once again get quality commercial gear, I would rather have second hand commercial equipment than new consumer gear in most cases.
Stihl HS 45 (Hedge Trimmer)
Stihl MS-360 25" (Chainsaw)
Poulan 3700 20" (Chainsaw)
Echo CS-3000 14" (Chainsaw)
Scotts Classic (Reel Mower) Yep!
Shindaiwa EB802RT (Blower)
Old 07-24-2009, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Overkill is just right
Old 07-24-2009, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I've got just under 3 acres and am looking to get a new trimmer for residential use. I've been looking at either the dedicated trimmers or kombi units from Stihl. I was thinking about either the 90, 110, or 130 units, but am wondering if those might be overkill and a waste of extra money. I definitely plan on getting a hedge trimmer attachment for whichever one I get, and might be interested in some other attachments at some point in the future. I want something that's going to last and can do the job well, but I don't want to go overboard either.

Thanks for your advice.

I have 9 fs110 trimmers they are used all day almost every day, I never a had a problem. For home use it will probably be the last one you will ever buy.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My father still uses the Echo trimmer he bought in 1983 in Florida. The landscaper next door told him to buy it, Mom almost choked on the price but I used it to trim their lawn yesterday. Several air filters, plugs, starter ropes, springs, and throttle cable assemblies, but the thing still runs great.
"Now the guy's gotta come up with Paulie's money every week no matter what...'Business bad?- screw you, pay me.' 'Oh, you had a fire?- Screw you, Pay me.' 'Place got hit by lightning huh?, SCREW YOU, PAY ME'

- Ray Liotta as Henry Hill in Goodfellas
Old 07-28-2009, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

commercial products are great and will hold up for years. either one of those models would be fine so it comes down to what you want to spend and how much power you need
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader