Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-10-2009, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah great post i just recently posted i was getting out and selling the new quick 36 wb i just bought and paid cash for 3 months ago. but ive been encourged to keep my stuff and press forward and grow my bussiness. what is funny is i was gonna get out and a lady came up to my wife today and said would your husband want to mow my lawn and she told her he would be glad to. so now i have 2 accounts one being family but they pay to. Thanks guys for all your help!
Old 07-11-2009, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I think that is so incredibly nice that you took the time to post this. I lost my job as a Project manager after 11 years last Oct. I took this opportunity to start my own landscaping co., a dream that I didnt know how I would ever fulfill. My love of plants and horticultural knowledge has grown steadily over the last 6 years and it is wonderful to see it actualize. I have only been in business for 5 months but in that time, we have gotten 25 regular lawn clients and done 3 designs. I bought a truck, have two commercial Honda mowers, an edger, backplower etc. All my personal gardening supply has been pressed into service. I have one part time employee and my fiance and myself do the bulk of the work. It's tough but it's rewarding and nothing makes us happier then when we finish a job and the customer is beaming and we've brought them a little bit of God on earth. And word is spreading, we get referrals constantly because people love our work. I would say to anyone that they should not give up and keep working at it because it is so worth it.

Blossoming Beginnings Landscaping & Design Inc.
www.blossomingb.com

Beautifying the earth one garden at a time...
Old 07-11-2009, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Screw them lol. Just wave at them and smile when you go by lol. We have an F-150 with an 8 ft bed and eveything gets loaded on the back. All the big guys go by with their trailers and monolithic trucks but what counts is that you get the job done and keep mowing. In fact, the big guys are not all that they seem as we have gotten 5 clients this season who decided to leave a major company who shall remain nameless due to burnt lawns, sloppiness and overpricing etc.

Blossoming Beginnings Landscaping & Design Inc.
www.blossomingb.com

Beautifying the earth one garden at a time...
Old 08-18-2009, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Sanger. I haven't even officially started yet, still working the business plan, but already I'm doubting myself. I believe in my product, I know I'm good with people but at the same time I have this gnawing feeling that I'm gonna wreck someone's lawn the first week and that'll be that.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

GREAT THREAD! i'm just about to get started, ordered some business cards and flyers today. i already have the areas i want to advertise in picked out(all of which are within 10 min of my house) i too was going to go out and buy some nice new equipment. this site has taught me not to do that. so i'm going to use the equipment i already have and just buy a nice 12' open trailer load up my 26" and go! i'm hoping to get 3-4(this will be part-time of course) yards before this season is over(i'm in FL) and get an early start on next season.
one question i do have is the door to door thing. i have thought of many options on how to pass out flyers and business cards. is door to door a quick min of their time and maybe a handshake the best way to go? it's that or putting the flyer on the mailbox flag or something. any thoughts on this woulld be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,
Bryan B.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Member

great post.i also lost my job this year.i had 2 lawns i would cut weekly after work which i still have,i also picked up 7 more lawn accounts at the start of the season.i just can`t seem to get any more.i am hoping to pick up some fall cleanups & driveways to plow and possibly use that to get more lawns for next season.i also wonder if it will ever really take off,i am usually pretty good with people and take a lot of pride in the work i do,so i am going to keep plugging away at it and hopefully one day i will be telling my story to the new guys.sometimes a story like this is all you need to keep going after your dreams.thanks again.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Generally speaking..... neither the grass, nor the customer, care about how "fancy" the equipment is that does the cutting. Too many "wantabee's" go broke trying to look the part with a nice trailer, fancy Z turns, and high dollar trimmers on higher dollar trimmer racks.

FYI... it is just about time to start shopping the classified ads as they begin selling off this equipment in order to pay the bills.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

i agree golf! i have been watching craigslist in my area and have noticed the decline in prices in the last 2 weeks or so. see most people re-posting the same mower for less$$$. i figure by oct-nov i'll find a mowr real cheap lol.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan B View Post
i agree golf! i have been watching craigslist in my area and have noticed the decline in prices in the last 2 weeks or so. see most people re-posting the same mower for less$$$. i figure by oct-nov i'll find a mowr real cheap lol.
The market is getting better. Everything is at the bottom right now. Hang on for the rise.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 08-22-2009, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnpreacher View Post
Generally speaking..... neither the grass, nor the customer, care about how "fancy" the equipment is that does the cutting. Too many "wantabee's" go broke trying to look the part with a nice trailer, fancy Z turns, and high dollar trimmers on higher dollar trimmer racks.

FYI... it is just about time to start shopping the classified ads as they begin selling off this equipment in order to pay the bills.
your right, customers dont care how "fancy" mowers are. I dont know what you mean by fancy? New? I do know you wont find a unreliable junk that beats you down sitting on my trailer. New equipment equals reliability, productivity, and less body strain. Its a small investment in your business. Nothing wrong with buying used low hour machines but you will be kicking yourselves if you buy any hydro machine and then have to pay to have the hydros redone a year later. For those running belt WB's, all the power too you. I wouldnt be in this business if i had to run one.

SOLO OPERATION