Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2009, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You may not see this as the picker upper you were hoping for, but then I don't want to take anyone's
hopes into the clouds just to watch them fall and then have folks pissed off at me.

So I wouldn't advise getting excited about early signs of an economic recovery
because it is, quite simply put, a long tedious process that takes many years.

But we have seen the worst of it, unfortunately we're a long ways from being out of the woods,
so my best advice at this time is just hang in there, concentrate on doing a good job and you'll be fine.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Member

This is my first year in business,and I really cant complain.I have 16 full time customers .. I was really worried when I first started,I had no calls after the first 2 weeks of passing out door hangers,but finally received my first customer and than about 1 every week after..I did get some really good help from a local LCO in my town who has helped a great deal..He has shown,taught,given me leads on jobs and has even given me a 50"mower to use..how awesome is that!! If you keep a positive attitude and work hard the work will come,you just have to keep at it.I don't know if anyone else has help from other LCO's but I think that Ive been lucky to have had one show me some of the ins and outs of the business..so just keep doing a good job and don't give up, there is plenty of work out there if you stay hard at it..
Old 08-25-2009, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes i hear you guy's .I have a home made trailer and i just started off i don't have alot of money for a new trailer.When i am on the road i see them fancy landscaper looking and lauhing at me ,but i say to my self .I might got a ulgy trailer but i am my own boss and i am doing realgood.It might be ulgy but it's bringing my business money in.I just keep my head up and keep up the good work..I have about 23 acount's..I have a Web page...MySunSetLandscaping.com....check it out and let me know what you think....
Old 08-25-2009, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Reggie Regg View Post
Yes i hear you guy's .I have a home made trailer and i just started off i don't have alot of money for a new trailer.When i am on the road i see them fancy landscaper looking and lauhing at me ,but i say to my self .I might got a ulgy trailer but i am my own boss and i am doing realgood.It might be ulgy but it's bringing my business money in.I just keep my head up and keep up the good work..I have about 23 acount's..I have a Web page...MySunSetLandscaping.com....check it out and let me know what you think....
you spelled "stoneing" wrong in your web page.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 11-04-2013, 04:18 AM
LawnSite Member

this is a great read, I'm in the same boat myself kinda got started late this year(my first year) had a family friend get sick and needed there yard mowed of course I did it for free but they passed the word out and my phone didn't stop ring for a 2weeks...got a riding mower,21inch push mower, 2weed eaters and 2 leaf blowers gave to me all needed work but it's a start got the mowers going, 1 weed eater and 1 leaf blower going...borrowed a trailer and been busy every since. This winter I will be buying a new trailer and shopping around craigslist for a walk behind mower. Want to Thank Everyone for the tips and advice!
Old 11-04-2013, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

My advice is to avoid buying on credit. Make do with what you have.

Do not fall into the trap of having to have a 60" mower. Sure it will take 4 hrs to mow 2 acres.

But when you have only 10 hours of mowing to do every week you do not need the production capacity, the debt, divert money from buying other things that your business can use to make more money.

Do not get discouraged many people do not get 15 customers their first year and reach 40 to 50 customers by their second year.

I had 4, 6, 14 customers for my first 3 years.

I am having my best fall clean up season.

Be prepared to grow slow. Lots of LCOs and illegals up here. If need be get a PT job evenings.

Advertising is a full year job. I just had a person call me from a flyer that I had put out about this past April. People decide this fall I am too old to rake leaves. Then come winter and same thing with snow. Always the chance to add customer every month of the year. Though most new customers are picked up in the spring.

Last edited by 32vld; 11-04-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan B View Post
GREAT THREAD! i'm just about to get started, ordered some business cards and flyers today. i already have the areas i want to advertise in picked out(all of which are within 10 min of my house) i too was going to go out and buy some nice new equipment. this site has taught me not to do that. so i'm going to use the equipment i already have and just buy a nice 12' open trailer load up my 26" and go! i'm hoping to get 3-4(this will be part-time of course) yards before this season is over(i'm in FL) and get an early start on next season.
one question i do have is the door to door thing. i have thought of many options on how to pass out flyers and business cards. is door to door a quick min of their time and maybe a handshake the best way to go? it's that or putting the flyer on the mailbox flag or something. any thoughts on this woulld be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,
Bryan B.
Bryan,

Be careful with hanging fliers on mail boxes. It is illegal to open or hang anything on the ACTUAL mall box. Can be huge fines. BUT you can put stuff in paper boxes which many people have OR hang something on the wooden post of the mail box. JUST NOT THE ACTUAL MAIL BOX. Sorry just want to make sure you don't make that mistake and get a bad start to your company
B.S. Horticulture (Virginia Tech)

Setup:
1995 F-450 Dump 7.3 Diesel
Horton Hauler 12' X 6' Enclosed Trailer
2006 Exmark Lazer Z 52"
2008 Exmark 48" WB
2013 Stihl String trimmer
2013 Stihl BR600 Blower
2013 Stihl Hedge trimmer
Hand tools, sprayers, and etc.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasScape View Post
Bryan,

Be careful with hanging fliers on mail boxes. It is illegal to open or hang anything on the ACTUAL mall box. Can be huge fines. BUT you can put stuff in paper boxes which many people have OR hang something on the wooden post of the mail box. JUST NOT THE ACTUAL MAIL BOX. Sorry just want to make sure you don't make that mistake and get a bad start to your company
When putting out flyer's the mailman said to me as long as you do not put in the box you will be ok. He said fold it and put it behind the flag, between the box and post, in the post if it has openings.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Question is, what happened to Sanger, the OP. Did he make it. His last post was in 2010
Old 11-04-2013, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan B View Post
i agree golf! i have been watching craigslist in my area and have noticed the decline in prices in the last 2 weeks or so. see most people re-posting the same mower for less$$$. i figure by oct-nov i'll find a mowr real cheap lol.
I dont have the income this year for a "new" CL mower. but next year I am hoping to find a Steal. If I had couple grand laying around I could of gotten a STEAL on a SCAG stander.