Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2009, 06:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

All rain no sun!

Its been so dark and damp here in SE massachusetts the last 2 weeks, i can actually see the lack of photosynthesis in my houseplants!
Old 06-26-2009, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

that sucks, wow. that mucha rain is never good for turf. it has been really hot here but still getting rain so it is severly humid. seeing fungus start up on most lawns now. got me some heritage ready to go.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have never seen as many fungal problems in turf as we have now. When will that big yellow thing come out and stay out
Old 06-26-2009, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We had it for a while today. Hot, humid, I could just about see the dollar spot, brown patch and pythium starting.

Having just red thread everywhere was boring.

Right now we are having flash flood warnings, hail, just over the border in CT they have a tornado warning.

I think we are at 22 out of 26 days with some amount of measurable rain for June.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Got a customer call and it was a huge red thread problem here.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

This spring has been a nightmare to get through the second round due to the constant rain. We have been seeing lots of red thread and some dollar spot.

Turf Hokie, if the N has been used sparingly the patch diseases and blights should not be a problem. We are almost through our 2nd round and have applied about 1.35 # of N. I tell my customers that anyone can dial up the N in the spring for an unnatural green but these are the lawns that are more prone to major disease. I will take the rt and ds any day over patch disease and blights.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I did a check back today, big time red thread and powdery mildew, mushrooms to boot. Granted its an original client (1973) with an old age lawn. There's no doubt about it, we are going to have to gear up for some fungus control apps.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk117 View Post
I have never seen as many fungal problems in turf as we have now. When will that big yellow thing come out and stay out
i am also in SE Mass and have experienced all the rain. there is def something going in on my turf! something green and slimy on the soil.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

All I ask for is a 24 hour window to hit clover, oxalis and wild violets... is 24 hours of no rain too much to ask for? It rains every forkin day, EVERY forkin day... now add in the fact that I also mow... tall, wet, thick fungus infected grass.... I have measured over 8 inches of rain in my yard this month... the national weather service has a hole in their rain guage.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by group501 View Post
This spring has been a nightmare to get through the second round due to the constant rain. We have been seeing lots of red thread and some dollar spot.

Turf Hokie, if the N has been used sparingly the patch diseases and blights should not be a problem. We are almost through our 2nd round and have applied about 1.35 # of N. I tell my customers that anyone can dial up the N in the spring for an unnatural green but these are the lawns that are more prone to major disease. I will take the rt and ds any day over patch disease and blights.
I am with you on that. We finished up our 2nd app last week and have put down just a touch more N than you, but still under 1.5 lbs. I have had some customers complain that there lawns are not as green as usual, not as green as the guy across the street etc. I am hoping that those lawns come around and bite them in the but over the summer.

Sun is out now and I am going out to treat some fields since I have been trying to get on them for 3 weeks