Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-25-2009, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Frustrated...Need Help

I purchased a Timecutter 4220 with a 21 Kohler about four months ago. Since the very first cut, I have had clumping problems. I've tried to eliminate every reason this may be happening: grass is not wet, grass not too high, not cutting too close (I can actually cut the very next day after mowing and I still get piles).
I called my dealer and he gave me the stock answer that the grass is too wet. This is not the case. I'm cutting bone dry turf.
Any help or suggestion would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Sponsor

TimeCutter 4220

Croat,
Thanks for your question. You did a good job to eliminate a few variables which helps. Are you mowing at full engine rpm (throttle all the way up)? This is crucial. The decks are designed to perform at full rpm. Lower rpms can cause problems such as the one you mentioned above. (As a side note, the decks and belt drive system are designed to be engaged at full engine rpm as well and it is harder on the system to engage at lower engine rpms.) Some other tips that might help:

- Only cut about 1/3 of the grass blade at a time.

- If the grass is higher than normal or contains a high degree of moisture, raise the cutting height higher than usual and cut the grass at this setting. Then cut the grass again using your normal lower setting.

- If the machine's forward motion must be stopped while mowing, a clump of grass clippings may drop onto your lawn. To avoid this, move onto a previously cut area with the blades engaged.

- Using the washout ports located on the top of the deck after each use can help make sure the underside of the deck is kept clean. This will help to reduce the chances of clumping.

Thank you,
The Toro Company
Old 09-07-2009, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I just bought the same mower (4220), and have the same issue. Happens on small dry cuts too.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Pistolpete, It sure does get old quick, doesn't it? I dont know about your dealer but mine has been zero help. Keeps telling me the grass is too wet. Even thought I cut it in the middle of a drought. Good luck..let me know if you figure anything out.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kinda odd question, but is your discharge flap up? If its down that may be a problem..ya never know.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 09-29-2009, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, tried it with the flap up too. I've tried everything. Same old story with the dealer even though I have done EVERYTHING suggested. Contacted Toro personally and they told me to talk to my dealer...again. The dealer, AGAIN, was of no help. Didn't even attempt to look into the problem...again. Told me the grass was too wet...again. Even though I told them it's been doing it in all conditions since the very first time I used it...again. I hate to say it because it seems like a good machine, but I'm done with my dealer and Toro.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Member

PistolPete, something interesting happened with this issue. I actually got a call from Toro. The gentleman I talked to was very professional and said that he would check with their engineers on a possible solution to the problem and call me back. I thought, "WOW. What a relief, a company that still actually cares about their product and their customers". Only problem...it was 3 MONTHS AGO. I havent heard from them since. The cutting season is now over here. I don't anticipate hearing anything from them or my dealer again. Now I have to try to get rid of it and buy something dependable before spring. Definetly no more Toros!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Have you tried different blades yet? I have 4 Toros (all commercial) with 3 different deck sizes (44,52, and 72) and each mower performs differently depending on the blades. The 44 and 72 do best with high lift. I get such good results with the Atomic blades on the 52's that I put a set on the 72. Got tons of clumping and couldnt change back quick enough. The 44 came with high lifts and was clumping a bit so I found Toro had Super High Lffts and that cured the problem. The 52's will produce an excellent cut with any set of blades so I just run the Atomics all season. Some guys on here run different blades on each spindle on the mower and fine tune their mower. I dont want to get into that.

Before you walk away from an excellent mower, you might try a different blade. I am also in Illinois and have an awesome dealer. He sold more than twice the number of consumer mowers than commercial mowers this year. Said that was a first for him. PM me if you would like his contact information. I cant say enough good things about him.

Thanks

Bob
Old 12-08-2009, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Get a factory mulching kit and your problems should be solved. Do NOT get an OCDC.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2009, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Member

LALawnboy...Have you had a similar problem? Reason I ask is because I checked with my dealer on the mulching kit and he first said that the grass would have to be completely dry or I would end up with a dough like substance covering the underside of the deck. Then he told me that if I cut all year with what I had then there is no kind of mulching kit that could handle the turf even in dry conditions.