Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2009, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I got bored (again)

I have been in communication with a fellow Canuckistan (Canadian 'eh) about the anti-stall adjustment on the Cat B series, I was already shown how to adjust the injector pump and the relief valves for the loader/bucket, and I thought I would tackle the anti-stall.

Before popping the cab, I took the machine for a spin with the hydraulic oil warmed up, no load on the front, just general back and forth, turning at idle on the driveway.
I noticed from the first day I bought it, if I idle while moving forward and make a slow turn, it will come to almost a dead stop and I would have to "burp" the throttle a bit to get it to make the turn, either full left/right track or turning while in motion, it would stop unless I increased the throttle.

I popped the cab, and located the main crossover adjustment screw.

There is an "anti-tamper" cap on the end that looks like this, grab it with a pliers and give it a twist and give it a "love tap" it with a hammer:

The adjustment bolt is on the right side (fuel filler side) there are 2 other adjustment screws on the left side, 1 for each pump, don't touch them.

There is a 1/2" bolt, stick an Allen key into the threaded shaft, and hold it while you loosen the bolt, I backed out the threaded shaft 1 full turn,(counter clockwise) and held it while I turned the lock nut back in place.

I did the same test I did previously, I noticed right away, the pilot control has a slightly "stiffer" feel to it, not enough to moan about, but just a little more.
Second observation was, while I turned (at idle) the machine kept going at the idle speed while I turned, either with one track turning or slow turning, it didn't slow down.
The lag time between forward and reverse has also changed at full throttle and as I was at WOT across the lawn, and started to turn to make slight course corrections, it was more responsive and the pilot controls "feel" was much better.
I blended some compost and topsoil together and I could tell right away the Anti-stall was "tighter" and it took longer for it to kick in, I almost had it at an engine stall point, but I didn't want to be over dramatic on a Friday morning.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 06-26-2009, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Since everyone complains about the anti-stall, and it's apparently as simple as this to overcome it, there must be some "risk", not? Wonder what they're afraid of happening or what consequence could possibly result?
Old 06-26-2009, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You are correct that this is a very simple adjustment. I did it to my RC50 quite some time ago. This is something that the dealer could easily adjust for the customer "in the warranty" period if the customer wants. The only risk of turning this valve out is that it would perform just like a Bobcat, Case, etc. In other words it would be able to stall the engine without "back shifting" the pump when the engine starts to drop RPMs. The mechanical risk/consequence would be the same as a Bobcat if it kept stalling the engine. I don't think any OEMs want customers "tweeking" their systems in the warranty period. I'm sure the idea was to offer this function/feature as a sales point, but it hasn't worked out that way. My machine wasn't all that bad, but I think I fall in to the same category as many when I say that I want to listen to my engine RPMs as a barometor to how hard I'm working. I don't want a factory setting to tell me that I've surpassed the "recommended" low engine rpm so I'm back shifting on you.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
You are correct that this is a very simple adjustment. I did it to my RC50 quite some time ago. This is something that the dealer could easily adjust for the customer "in the warranty" period if the customer wants. The only risk of turning this valve out is that it would perform just like a Bobcat, Case, etc. In other words it would be able to stall the engine without "back shifting" the pump when the engine starts to drop RPMs. The mechanical risk/consequence would be the same as a Bobcat if it kept stalling the engine. I don't think any OEMs want customers "tweeking" their systems in the warranty period. I'm sure the idea was to offer this function/feature as a sales point, but it hasn't worked out that way. My machine wasn't all that bad, but I think I fall in to the same category as many when I say that I want to listen to my engine RPMs as a barometor to how hard I'm working. I don't want a factory setting to tell me that I've surpassed the "recommended" low engine rpm so I'm back shifting on you.

Well put.

Another excuse to doing this adjustment is "I need to get some work done".

Old 06-26-2009, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ill have to do that to the 277b we have
Old 06-26-2009, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTYCEDAR View Post
Ill have to do that to the 277b we have
It took me 5 minutes, 15 minutes including getting the cab up and down.
I couldn't find the 15/16" socket I used for the cab bolts, and it's been so damn long since I last popped the cab up, I forgot how Cat locked it in place before lowering it back down.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its a little red tab lol
Old 06-26-2009, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

When we purchased our 287B. We had the dealer turn up the hydraulics just like ron did, it was a night and day difference, the kitty cat came alive then watch out. It also does not void the warranty another plus.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

for all of those that like watching the "big one" happen in NASCAR, stay tuned....somone will have an issue.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron peddler View Post
for all of those that like watching the "big one" happen in NASCAR, stay tuned....somone will have an issue.
And I know it's going to be me.

Tags
247b2 , anti , cat , skidsteer , stall