Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2009, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I'm gonna say of the hostas are doing great its a shade issue. I also notice a strip of shade that matches length and angle of the affected area.
That was what I thought at first, because I have areas like that on the North side of houses everywhere. DGL, claimed there was very little shade over this area.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
That was what I thought at first, because I have areas like that on the North side of houses everywhere. DGL, claimed there was very little shade over this area.
Looks just like some bermuda spots in my own lawn and some of my clients.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 06-29-2009, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
DGL, claimed there was very little shade over this area.
I'm not sure if he's correct. When you look at the shadows cast by the trees on the right it looks like the photo was taken in mid day. The troubled area is already half in shade when the photo was taken and based on the angle of the house shadow it appears to be worse towards the bottom of the photo where the shadow is wider.

It's had to tell from such a small photo but the bottom left hand of the picture looks like there might be some exposed roots. Could just be compression artifacts. Along with the mention that drainage had to be installed led me to believe water was sheeting off the roof and leading to erosion. Hard to make out but I don't think there's a downspout in the corner. Maybe there are no gutters at all.

Any chance that's not a gable end and the roofing is a redish brown asphalt shingle?
Old 06-29-2009, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Member

my vote is a light issue and maybe something to do with the pad that the house was built on but go for the light first.

then just add some mulch and hostas to cover the affected area, dont fight mother work with her!!!!!
Old 06-29-2009, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hell its Georgia, its hot, its dry and no rain in sight...be glad anything is green here at all!!

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 06-30-2009, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well we are back to freezing up here in Wisco. Hope some of this cold air reaches you.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

So how would there be a strip of green thick grass in between the bad spots if it is a shade issue?

If you wanna try the shade problem, plant some Red Fescue. It prefers shade.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

thats where the dog pees
Old 07-01-2009, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Deep,

Does the drain pipe turn towards the house about where the AC is at? When was it installed?
Old 07-14-2009, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Deep....I think If It was my job,I would simply soil test the bad part and also test the good part near by......If the test results looks pretty much alike
then Its not the soil thats giving you grief......But If your test come back showing that the bad area Is In the red...I would then be focused on the soil.
You stated the the soil was chalky....I know Your In a different part of the world than where I a'm But.... I may be thinking of slicing that soil right out of there and replacing It with some of your DeepGreen Prime....Just a thought....alot of times you can just look at the soil and see that Its crap
It may need to be changed