Register free!

Old 06-27-2009, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lawns looking good during a summer finally!

We have had 2 HORRIBLE droughts the last 2 years and usually by now our grass has gone dormant and has been for a while.

I was out walking in my lawn tonight and it is lush, and green as can be.

We just got another 2 inches of rain again yesterday.

This is great and customers have to love it.

Hope the rains keep coming because it makes us look like heros!

I guess the only down side is...less over seeding in the fall! But I would rather have healthy lawns and happy customers!

How are lawns looking in your neck of the woods? Too much rain? Not enough? Perfect?
Old 06-27-2009, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The heat and dry weather will come, it always does. Too much rain here, getting pissed off because mowers are damaging turf, and it seems like red thread and brown patch are starting to creep in. I certainly do not want dry weather in the fall.

Last edited by EVM; 06-27-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We had awesome rainfall last year until August which was one of the driest on record. Then we had a cool and short fall before winter. It was one of the best summers we have had in 5 years. This year was really going good until the last week and a half. It suddenly got very hot and now all the rains are going around us. I am not overly concerned yet but I hate those hot dry summers when the lawns look like crap. Unless the customers have irrigation, which hardly anyone around here does, you just can't look good. At least it looks like it is going to cool off this week. I always try to tell myself that whatever the weather brings I can't control it and not to get upset, but it is hard to do. Must be the farmer in me.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdLLawnMan View Post
I always try to tell myself that whatever the weather brings I can't control it and not to get upset, but it is hard to do. Must be the farmer in me.

Guarantee it is Mike!

I am the same way!

During droughts I can't sleep at night, I worry, worry, worry and get depressed and hate life!

Hope that's normal!

I have 3 business's and ALL of them are affected dramatically and depend on good weather! I guess you could say that I put all my eggs in one basket.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post

Guarantee it is Mike!

I am the same way!

During droughts I can't sleep at night, I worry, worry, worry and get depressed and hate life!

Hope that's normal!

I have 3 business's and ALL of them are affected dramatically and depend on good weather! I guess you could say that I put all my eggs in one basket.
Yep.. it's as normal as us lawn people can get!

O/T.. what else is it that you do? Farming I assume is one? My dad does only hay and I hate his constant complaining. Only for the fact he does it mostly for his personal use and because it needs to be cut during our busy times!!
Old 06-28-2009, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi J. View Post
Yep.. it's as normal as us lawn people can get!

O/T.. what else is it that you do? Farming I assume is one? My dad does only hay and I hate his constant complaining. Only for the fact he does it mostly for his personal use and because it needs to be cut during our busy times!!
I farm, have a lawn health business and also have a seed/chemical business.

I was doing the "lawn thing" on the side...but now it has become a crazy venture and takes a lot of my time (sometimes too much). Funny how things work out!

The money in lawns kicks butt compared to farming. The seed/chemical gig is pretty sweet though because most of the work is done in the winter so it gives me something to do and some $$$$$ when snow is on the ground!

I love it all...when things are like they are now!
Old 06-28-2009, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
I farm, have a lawn health business and also have a seed/chemical business.

I was doing the "lawn thing" on the side...but now it has become a crazy venture and takes a lot of my time (sometimes too much). Funny how things work out!

The money in lawns kicks butt compared to farming. The seed/chemical gig is pretty sweet though because most of the work is done in the winter so it gives me something to do and some $$$$$ when snow is on the ground!

I love it all...when things are like they are now!
That's great! Lawn health.. gotta love you ol' schoolers
Old 06-29-2009, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here in So. MN, we have gotten adequate rainfall to date. Lawns are still for the most part fully green and lush. However, no rain in the forecast for the next week - so I anticipate we will get a touch dry and some dormancy will set in. July seems to bring that every single year.
I'd like to keep my lawns out of dormancy because once it sets in, it takes so long for them to come back and look good again.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 06-30-2009, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We could use some rain around here...its been a whole week since the last precipitation of any significance!