Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-28-2009, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I've been thinking about picking up one of those trimmers, this thread makes me think twice.

And Think Green, the burns you and your guys received are 2nd degree, not 3rd.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

These would also help...

http://garage.mechanix.com/detail.aspx?ID=22
Old 06-28-2009, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i use a 4" wrist band. the only problem is you'll have a white band on your arm after the day is done. i guess its better than getting burned though.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The idea of getting too hot is a common sense thing. My guys avoid the housing nut on top as it does have the plastic plate. The earlier models of the echos had a longer plastic plate that would almost wrap around and protect the clutch area. I have the stihl KM90R's--KM110R's--FS90's,etc. and do know that stihl's design with internal fan allows the area to stay cooler and keep debris out. They are way cooler units and have more torque. I just bought these darn line trimmers because they are lighter weighted and were on sale. I am not switching back to these cheaper units because of personal reasons.
Thanks JHawk60--If i didn't make this thread look impressive, I didn't think many would respond much. My guys do have severe burns that are about the size of golf balls on their outer elbow area--they are pretty nasty and deep?. You would think that they would alter the way they hold these units. Sometimes after an hour on the trimmer--fatique sets in and the arm starts to slump!------BAM! burned again!! The time that I used one model, it didn't take me but a second to learn again at how hot these things get!!!!!---Can't take them back, they are mine now!
Any heavy unit that is made from metal is going to get hot---I definately know this! The guys are trained---showed---and drilled on the ways of taking care of their units that they use. I believe their common sense faded just a little.
Thank all of you for the help!--------It seems that going back to the basics of socks, wrist bands, and the simple things are better. I didn't really know if there was a flaw or problem with the clutches that was going on to make these things get so hot.
In the past, we didn't have many disagreements with the Echo line of trimmers, now they are way over rated. I would like to wonder why such a machine wouldn't have alamite's so you could keep lube or grease in there to keep the units from overheating.

Any feedback from mechanics or dealer?
Old 06-28-2009, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have two Echo 260's. Same problem here, especially when I start to get tired. I've got kind of a permanent scar in one small spot, but on me, it is on the forearm halfway between the elbow and wrist. Guess it depends on how you hold the machine. I've used the old socks, and they do work, but I'll forget and start trimming, then don't want to stop and put one one. I think I'll try the felt strips.

I've also noticed that a few degrees in ambient temperature makes a difference. If it is in the 70's, I never burn myself, but weeks like the last one, when it is in the 90's, I burn myself constantly.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

In my experience, Shindy's get the hottest. Never used Redmax though. I don't have much of a problem with my Echo's. But I put my arm on the arm rest part of the engine.
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 SD XLT 7.3PSD
6X16' Tandem axle trailer
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Bobcat Predator Pro 61" 26LC
Simplicity Legacy 60" Vanguard Diesel
Redmax EB7001, 7150, 7500
Stihl BG55, SH85
Echo SRM-210, SRM-225 (3), Dolmar 22C
(2) Echo PAS-265
Old 06-28-2009, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Member

My two FS90's burn my forearm everytime I edge a sidewalk or driveway. It's easier to rest it on my forearm to steady the trimmer, but once it gets hot enough to burn me, I hold it away.

I bought a new FS110 Friday. I'm curious if I'll have the same problem
*2007 Exmark Metro 36" w/ Velke
*Stihl FS110 w/all attachments.
*Stihl BR 600
Old 01-30-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Best thing I can tell you is I learned NOT to lean my arm on the powerhead unit.
Because it's hard, after you've been using a Stihl 4-mix, to go back to using an Echo 2-cycler.

How I know, I've got an FS-100 and an srm-260s, the Stihl's run way cooler.
And my Echo does exactly the same thing, but I will say this...
Don't your workers FEEL anything while they're getting burnt?
I mean dang, I've put my arm on the muffler before and it hurt like hell but I didn't leave it on there long enough to get that bad a burn

Because there's other times, and Stihl's can do it too...
When that spark plug cable gets to a point, your arm gets too close and ZAP!
Oh you think the burn hurts?
That zap about stop your heart LOL

So, don't let that arm rest on the back end.

Haha, my dad owns a landscape contracting company (install only, no maintenance), and there was a period of probably 3-4 years where we didn't use our Echo SRM-3100 trimmer to maintain the office property because the spark plug wire would shock the heck out of you. Ran to Ace Hardware down the road and got a 6 inch piece of vinyl tubing, slipped it around the spark plug wire, electrical taped it up, and we have a great trimmer again. We enjoy playing Macgyver with our old equipment to keep it running.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my redmax gets hot but no serious burns from it. i did get a nasty burn off a muffler on my snow blower a few weeks back and picked up some BURN JEL PLUS at rite aid. gotta say that stuff works great i keep a bottle in the truck, in the trailer, in the garage, and in the house now
Old 01-31-2013, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Mine gets burned every year, I'm used to it by now.