Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-28-2009, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Green up my lawn

Some of you may have seen I had some lawn fungus problems recently. While that seems to be under control for now (crosses fingers), the lawn is just not as green as I'd like it to be. Plenty of brown blades mixed in; neighbors seem to have a similar issue.

I'm having a big party this weekend (July 4th) and was wondering... is there any product out there that can help green up the lawn in a few days? I thought I remember seeing a product that will show results in just 3 days, though it may only last for a couple weeks.

My lawn is a fescue mix on heavy clay soil. I live in the Cincinnati, OH area. We have received a good amount of rain so far this year so I think I'm ok on water. However while my lawn is mostly exposed to the sun, the shaded areas are thick, green, and lush.

Any ideas?

Last edited by scruff33; 06-28-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Iron will do the job liquid application. Just be careful around the hardscapes.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 06-28-2009, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener View Post
Iron will do the job liquid application. Just be careful around the hardscapes.
Sounds good. Any specific brands/products you would recommend? Is there any risk to burning the lawn or other adverse long term effects.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just use green dye so you can see where you have applied the iron and its instant since it is systemic
Old 06-28-2009, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elements Group View Post
just use green dye so you can see where you have applied the iron and its instant since it is systemic
You'll have to forgive me I'm new at this... but can I find all this stuff at Lowes/Home Depot? Is the green dye included in the iron product or is it sold separately?
Old 06-28-2009, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lowes or Home Depot have bags of "Ironite". I've never used any but you should be able to put it down with a simple spreader. However be sure to sweep any off the driveway or any hard surface that it hits or it will turn brown and rusty color. Make sure you water it in after application. Read the label and you could go a little heavier for deeper color.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Ralmaroad, you mean this stuff?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...705&lpage=none

Or this...
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...502&lpage=none

Looks like the spray in is more potent; looks like since you water it in it doesn't need watered immediately.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yes you need to get a liquid. any granular has to be broken down in the soil and absorbed by the roots and you don't have the time for that. I have never used the Ironite liquid. I use a chelated liquid iron product. if you hit sidewalks walls it will turn them orange.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 06-29-2009, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener View Post
Yes you need to get a liquid. any granular has to be broken down in the soil and absorbed by the roots and you don't have the time for that. I have never used the Ironite liquid. I use a chelated liquid iron product. if you hit sidewalks walls it will turn them orange.
Where can I get this chelated liquid iron product? And to the poster who recommended the green dye... if I do this (in a bottle of ironite for example) how much do I put in?

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2009, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Look for a golf and athletic field fertilizer seed supplier. Simplot partners, Wilbur Ellis. You will need to buy a 2.5 or 5 G pail, way more than you need and you will probably have to drive a ways but it should be cheap 7-10 bucks a gallon. Or a bigger irrigation supplier like Ewing, Horizion, John Deer should have some too. Can't speak to the stains or dye's but everything has a label.