Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2002, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you were to read between the lines of my post I was trying to say " Please no more cheap competition" or something like that.
By all means pay your way through college. But if you choose to have a lawn biz pay taxes and charge the going rates. If the big boys in town have a 35$ min then yours should be almost as high. I am not going to encourage lowballers on this forum. If you want to RoyaleRcr that's your business.
As for how poor I am , that is a lie. I do just fine. I was trying to emphasize the down side I think there are more than enough LCO's out there for the time being. The fewer new ones the better. My area is 2/1 illeagal operators over legal ones and prices range from 12$ to 35$ for 5k properties. So until someone kicks me off this forum I will say whatever I please and hope I upset you again in the future RR.
Old 04-18-2002, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

While it is a free form discussion format.... I must say that I'm a bit embarrassed by some of the responses here from fellows that I have some measure of respect for. This guy is just trying to gain some information from us. We all started out small too, at one point. I sure wish I had a forum to go to learn things when I was starting out.... sure would have saved me (and probably some of my competition) some grief.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The amount of info and help on this forum is amazing. I for one love to help people get started. Its just people need to put forth some effort and not expect to show up and say "I thinking about starting, so now what should I do?". People should put forth some effort. It is free info here, people should take the time to read some of it. I answer tons of stuff on the open forum and an unbelievable amount of emails. I wouldn't do it if I didn't care. But, I expect people to have enough respect to have an educated question, not something so vague. Anyone that wants to be around in business long term must be able to do some research.

If people want others to have respect for them shouldn't they consider people's time valuable. Thousands of people have devoted time to this forum. Shouldn't someone have enough respect to read the info? There is tons of "basic 101" info for free.

This isn't just CJIII, so I apologize for making you think its an attack on you. It isn't. Its just this happens all the time. I hope you can make the business work and we can help you get it growing. Just read, read, read. There is enough info to keep you busy for your 1st year of college.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well after some thought I have decided to make this my last post on Lawnsite. Every time I look at Lawnsite I see more and more people defending the lowballer mentality. It is driving me nuts.

There is good info here and also alot of wasted typing including most of mine. Goodbye and good luck everyone. Let's hope that in ten years we are still mowing and making good money and not just working for lunch money and gas for the equiptment.

My last words are"KEEP YOUR PRICES HIGH AND DON'T HIT YOUR HEAD ON THAT LIMB!"

Old 04-18-2002, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

royal, you know that is so true. look at the want ads. pick a job you think you are suited to.

then imagine your interview is in the morning. what will you say, do, wear, etc.

then imagine your boss on the first day giving you the low down on the job.

then imagine screwing up the first time.

then be THANKFUL you run a biz. cause everytime i do the above i just smile and think that must really SUCK.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 04-18-2002, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

This is my first post but I have been looking at this website for a couple weeks. I am also looking to start a lawn business. Do you think there are to many . My area seems to have quite a few. I was wondering if it would be better to go where there aren't as many. I have a truck now and know where I can get a used snapper 300$ then all i need is a trimmer to get out mowing. Oh and a blower to. Is it hard to get going in lawns. How much can be made? By the way myuser name is not my busines name I don't have a name yet

thanks, Mike H.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cheapcuts, its hard to say if there is too many. I don't know your area. There are many around here, lots of new guys that I will not see again after July. I've never had a hard time getting customers regardless of how many trucks with crapsman's I see.

A few particular areas might be saturated, but then you can go to other areas close by to get started. Learn as much about "grass" so you can talk with confidence with potential customers. If your unsure of yourself they will sense it and look for someone else. Don't lie to them though, its better to say I don't know than to speak some bs.

Money, well that depends on your work ethic and drive. You must know your operating costs if you plan to make money though. Beer money is easy to get, a profit is another situation.

Good luck.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Twotoros, Good luck to you. I understand your frustration. I have always and will continue to live by your last words. But it's funny how sometimes that tree limb likes to hide from you. Just the other day I was moweing around a tree and noticed a piece of paper laying near by, as I was thinking about stopping and picking it up. I ran right into a tree limb and it knocked my hat off and it hurt enough to stun me, So by the time I got my sences back, I had ran over my hat. Boy did I feel stupid the rest of the day. I had a bad case of hat hair Now I have another item to add to things to carry for backup.

Soupy
Old 04-18-2002, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nevermind, just put out flyers.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Member

to cheapcuts

If you are really serious about starting a lawn business, you can get a great amount of help on this forum.

There is always room in any industry for someone good at what they do and business minded. The main thing is to know why you are going to charge what you are going to charge. Competition is important, but you have nearly a 75% failure rate in this industry in the first three years. Why? Contractors don't know what they don't know! I got in this business in 1979 and no idea what to charge. Unfortunately, I looked at the competition and charged based on what they were charging. The problem was that they had no idea why they charged what they charged either. After 7 years and almost 89M in debt, we put together a system that worked.

If you are interested in additional help, either ask this forum or give me a call at 800-845-0499. Good luck and remember that is better to try and to fail then to fail to try!

Wayne
"Where Profit is not a DIRTY word"