Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-19-2002, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Can't see how ripping off people to just mow is good for business. I can work for half of what they charge here. some of these companies must forty or fifty thousnad a year. Why charge so much just to cut lawn. I can see big bucks for sprniclers and and landscape ponds and things but not mowing. I think I can make a lot by not being greedy
Old 04-19-2002, 02:11 AM

Cheapcuts your last statment shows that you aren't really ready to start a business, in my opinion. You obviously have no clue what kind of costs goes into QUALITY equipment, (NOT Wal Mart special stuff that maybe lasts one season, if you are lucky) insurance, day to day costs. Repair, and maintenance costs, the list goes on and on.

If you feel that you can work for half what is being charged, and make money, it is likely you will be one of those that doesn't make more than a year or two in the biz, and walks away bitter.

Other people have said it, and I believe it. Go get a job working for another contractor for a while. Learn the ropes, found out what it is like to interact with customers. Go price some quality equipment, check prices on licenses, insurance. If you plan to hire help, they WILL NOT be cheap.

Trust the guys that have been in the biz for a while. There is a reason why they charge what they do. I wish you the best of luck, but at the same time can honestly say that with your ideas of pricing, I am glad you aren't planning to start working in my area.

Don't take this last statment personally, I do not know you or your work ethic. But simply put, wanna be contractors do give the pros a bad name. We don't need any more of that.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok... Ok...
I stand corrected.....
Cheapcuts has done it for me....
We try so hard, and reach so few.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Please accept my apologies for my last post.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

cheapcuts....your name does imply your business....just use it for your business name!

I can see you downward spiral already just like the whirlpool created when you pull the plug in the sink or tub...you just never had the plug to begin with.
Old 04-19-2002, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by cheapcuts
Can't see how ripping off people to just mow is good for business. I can work for half of what they charge here. some of these companies must forty or fifty thousnad a year. Why charge so much just to cut lawn. I can see big bucks for sprniclers and and landscape ponds and things but not mowing. I think I can make a lot by not being greedy

You said is another post you've been here for several weeks. I guess by this statement you haven't been reading anything. If you had, you would have seen topics such as quality, COST, equipment, trucks, insurance, paperwork/office work, long hours, labor, etc...

Oh, btw, you also asked about how much money can be made. Well, for you, nothing. You don't understand yet that it doesn't all go to your bottom line. So, you'll be lucky to break even but it will be a couple of years of hard work before you realize that. Enjoy the new "business".
Old 04-19-2002, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I didn't really mean it when I said ripping off but prices kinda seem high. I do not want to make anyone madd. Guess I will do some more read'n.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

cheapcuts,
More read'n is the way to go. I have been in the biz part time for several years, and this year I'm going full time. It is amazing at the expenses. I continue to find hidden expenses daily. It seems when you're out on a job and something breaks, you never have what you need. That means a trip to town or to the dealer to pick it up it is stocked. Then the time to replace and repair. It's always something.
You just gotta LOVE the BIZ. It's not something you will grow into, it has to be a God given PASSION. Then it will work.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
You just gotta LOVE the BIZ. It's not something you will grow into, it has to be a God given PASSION. Then it will work
Listen to what Mike is saying, he has nailed it.... now do it with the right Business knowledge (spend some times reading the posts here and find a couple mentors who you can go too) and you will never be discouraged (for too long; the peaks far outweigh the valleys if you know what is going on) and never look back...
Old 04-20-2002, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A word on pricing.

If you price your services to where you're just getting by (enough to pay the bills, put gas in the mower & truck, and get some food, with a little for a burger here and there) you will be up the creek without a paddle when you have something break down and you have no replacement equipment to take its place, or when you have to pay taxes or insurace or you break something and have to pay to fix it, etc.

Just a thought.
Old 04-20-2002, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cheapcuts - $40 or $50K a year is not a lot of money if you're trying to raise a family, pay for a mortgage and a couple of cars. Do yourself a favor and charge more if your work quality is good. Oh course, if it's not, maybe you should be charging less than what a professonal with the proper equipment would.