Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2009, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Client thinks my price is outrageous, seems pretty reasonable to me

Hey everyone, I'm new here and this is one of my first posts. Anyway, I recently had a guy call me wanting to get his beds re-mulched and strawed. Additionally, he wanted bushes and trees trimmed. I went over to give him an estimate. Keep in mind, I charge for time and materials. It is going to take about 2.5-3 CY of mulch and about 25 bags of pine straw just in materials. Around here that runs about 250-300 dollars. Additionally he wants about 2 days worth of shrub and tree trimming and beds weeded. I work alone but this is a larger yard. Regardless, my hourly rate is 25 and as in most all of my previous jobs, the cost of materials and the cost of labor to install them is very close to 50/50. Anyway, I quoted him about 700 dollars for the work (very labor intensive). He thinks its outrageous for what it is, and I think he's crazy for thinking anyone would do that much for any less. I am not willing to lowball just to get the job if it means I lose my butt on the job, but does that seem reasonable? Low? High? Etc. Thanks. I'm not new to the landscape business, but just recently found this forum, so maybe I can get some feedback.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthefurniture View Post
Hey everyone, I'm new here and this is one of my first posts. Anyway, I recently had a guy call me wanting to get his beds re-mulched and strawed. Additionally, he wanted bushes and trees trimmed. I went over to give him an estimate. Keep in mind, I charge for time and materials. It is going to take about 2.5-3 CY of mulch and about 25 bags of pine straw just in materials. Around here that runs about 250-300 dollars. Additionally he wants about 2 days worth of shrub and tree trimming and beds weeded. I work alone but this is a larger yard. Regardless, my hourly rate is 25 and as in most all of my previous jobs, the cost of materials and the cost of labor to install them is very close to 50/50. Anyway, I quoted him about 700 dollars for the work (very labor intensive). He thinks its outrageous for what it is, and I think he's crazy for thinking anyone would do that much for any less. I am not willing to lowball just to get the job if it means I lose my butt on the job, but does that seem reasonable? Low? High? Etc. Thanks. I'm not new to the landscape business, but just recently found this forum, so maybe I can get some feedback.
Sounds way low to me. I get $40/hour here for my labor and if I'm using equipment like my tractor or dump trailer it's $50/hour...PLUS materials.
Redmax EBZ8001 Backpack Blower
Stihl FS90 string trimmer
Stihl Kombi 130 System w/cultivator/trimmer/edger/power brooms
SnoWay 29 series 8ft plow
Old 06-29-2009, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto, I would be more but I also have overhead you don't. I think your price is in line or low depending on your horticultural knowledge.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 06-29-2009, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Your prices are low for me and my area. The tree and other trimming for two days would alone be more than 700 not counting the rest. I would say you are giving him one heck of a deal. My area is considered not good and that is a deal for even here!
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 06-29-2009, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

2 whole days worth of Bush Trimming, Weeding, and Mulching for $700.00 including materials is a freaking great deal for that customer and he should be all over that, cause I doubt he can get any better than that...

Stick to your prices and realize that your prices arent to high...This guy is just a cheap bastard.

On your next quote...raise your prices a bit and see what happens.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeScape View Post
2 whole days worth of Bush Trimming, Weeding, and Mulching for $700.00 including materials is a freaking great deal for that customer and he should be all over that, cause I doubt he can get any better than that...

Stick to your prices and realize that your prices arent to high...This guy is just a cheap bastard.

Thanks for the responses guys. I did not really have any idea how low I was so he should be really happy. It is my understanding that he is the senior vice president of a bank here in town, not that I'm trying to screw him because he has money or doesn't, but knowing that means he's got an accounting kind of mind. I do not ever lower my prices, I will agree with that, if he wants to go hire a lowballer, go ahead, he'll get that quality of work. I have walked away from jobs before because I will not work for free, this is how I make my living. Anyway, sounds like he ought to be happy about this, I'll find out when I hear back from him.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd rather cut grass and make way more than to spend 2 days on a job for 700. When I bid a landscape maintenance job I always compare it to mowing as far as price goes. If I can't make what mowing brings in or more in the same time frame there is no need for me to take the job.
89 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4
5x10 Trailer
Old 06-29-2009, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeScape View Post

What BladeScape said- This guy is a dope.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go back and tell him you messed the numbers up and the actual price is $1400.00 for the trimming. Tell him you meant $700.00 per day for the trimming.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVM View Post
Go back and tell him you messed the numbers up and the actual price is $1400.00 for the trimming. Tell him you meant $700.00 per day for the trimming.
I was thinking the same exact thing. Price needs to be higher than 700.
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!