Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-30-2009, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've made a HORRIBLE business move, now the piper is calling for his pay!

So a good friend of mine, he was the best man at my wedding....lost his job at a national trucking company recently.

I hired him on.

He has zero experience.

He's argumentative with me when I try and correct him.

He's damaged equipment doing stupid things.

He's stolen from clients....taking fruit off clients fruit trees without asking the client is stealing in my book.

He's caused an accident on the freeway by loading wheelbarrows in the P/U truck bed and NOT securing them in the bed. Pass a semi and a wheelbarrow flies out and goes tumbling down the highway, car swerves to miss it but hits it. $750 repair bill from the guy, THANK GOD nobody was hurt.

Yesterday I get a call from the city dump super who says my guy is not wearing his OSHA approved safety vest while at the dump and arguing with the super about it.

Today I get a call from a resident of a HOA I manage. My guy is cutting back Crepe Myrtle trees! Crepe Myrtle trees that are about to bloom. The resident asked him to stop and he argues with her.

I've been letting stuff go and letting stuff go because I love the guy. I've been hoping he would realize by my tone and things gone unsaid but implied that he's on the ragged edge of employment.

He doesn't get it.

It's ALL my fault.

I've got to fire him. Trouble is I've not given written warnings and he's (outside of work) a good friend, who's wife I know, who's kids I've watched grow up....

SUX!!!

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 06-30-2009, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would be out holding his hand showing him how I want it done....and if he really appreciated what you were doing for him, than he would be making a strong effort to do exceptional work.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

balls

You have to man up and can him, everyday he is slowly destroying what you have worked for, don't care who he is.......its your company, and it provides for your family.......

Like my Dad always says......."YOU GO TO WORK TO WORK, AND MAKE MONEY, NOT TO MAKE F'ING FRIENDS"..........

It sums it up, I don't have many friends, but I have a beautiful home, wife and kids......and two dogs......its all that matters.......great luck...
Old 06-30-2009, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The bigger picture is.....Truckers, Construction, restaurant workers DO NOT make good landscape service employees.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy2 View Post
You have to man up and can him, everyday he is slowly destroying what you have worked for, don't care who he is.......its your company, and it provides for your family.......

Like my Dad always says......."YOU GO TO WORK TO WORK, AND MAKE MONEY, NOT TO MAKE F'ING FRIENDS"..........

It sums it up, I don't have many friends, but I have a beautiful home, wife and kids......and two dogs......its all that matters.......great luck...
Right on Brother! I don't have but a few friends, the rest are acquaintances. If this guy was your friend he would not be acting like this. Most people that you think are your friend are jealous of what you have and are just trying to F### you anyway they can. Besides he sounds like a dumb@$$. Fire his Dumb@$$.

Your only friends are Benjamin, Hamilton, Jefferson etc.

Dave....
Old 06-30-2009, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlwn1 View Post
The bigger picture is.....Truckers, Construction, restaurant workers DO NOT make good landscape service employees.
Yes he is right, fire him, pay him unemployment and lesson learned......he knows what he is doing, maybe he is upset with your success......you never know
Old 06-30-2009, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Pastures View Post
So a good friend of mine, he was the best man at my wedding....lost his job at a national trucking company recently.

I hired him on.

He has zero experience.

He's argumentative with me when I try and correct him.

He's damaged equipment doing stupid things.

He's stolen from clients....taking fruit off clients fruit trees without asking the client is stealing in my book.

He's caused an accident on the freeway by loading wheelbarrows in the P/U truck bed and NOT securing them in the bed. Pass a semi and a wheelbarrow flies out and goes tumbling down the highway, car swerves to miss it but hits it. $750 repair bill from the guy, THANK GOD nobody was hurt.

Yesterday I get a call from the city dump super who says my guy is not wearing his OSHA approved safety vest while at the dump and arguing with the super about it.

Today I get a call from a resident of a HOA I manage. My guy is cutting back Crepe Myrtle trees! Crepe Myrtle trees that are about to bloom. The resident asked him to stop and he argues with her.

I've been letting stuff go and letting stuff go because I love the guy. I've been hoping he would realize by my tone and things gone unsaid but implied that he's on the ragged edge of employment.

He doesn't get it.

It's ALL my fault.

I've got to fire him. Trouble is I've not given written warnings and he's (outside of work) a good friend, who's wife I know, who's kids I've watched grow up....

SUX!!!
I've been there. I think your guy needs his ass kicked. Obviously you're not going to do it. So just look him in the eye and tell him hes fired. What's he going to do? He might act like he wants to fight you but he wont. Don't say your sorry because you are not. He will file for unemployment. That's probably what he's after. By the way. He is not a good friend. You are a good friend. He is a jerk.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgreenspro View Post
I would be out holding his hand showing him how I want it done....and if he really appreciated what you were doing for him, than he would be making a strong effort to do exceptional work.

I don't have time to hold hands, nor should I have to.

He's 50 something years old.

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 06-30-2009, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleriver1 View Post
I've been there. I think your guy needs his ass kicked. Obviously you're not going to do it. So just look him in the eye and tell him hes fired. What's he going to do? He might act like he wants to fight you but he wont. Don't say your sorry because you are not. He will file for unemployment. That's probably what he's after. By the way. He is not a good friend. You are a good friend. He is a jerk.

I don't care if he files unemployment.

I know this guy, his wife, his kids and his grandkids.

I know when I fire him I'm taking food off his table.

It IS my fault for not being more clear with him from the start.

My biggest fault in business has been giving people to many chances and the benifit of the doubt.

Business is business.

DO NOT HIRE FRIENDS.

EVER.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Give him a copy of your post and tell him to think about it overnight and ya'll need to discuss it in the morning. Unless he makes a 180, you can fire him and probably destroy your friendship or let things continue, severely damage your business and destroy your friendship. Unless he changes, your friendship is history.