Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-03-2009, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've checked voltages on pars til I am blue in the face. It's easy, just flip it over. I've run them yellowish 10.0 to whiter 11.5. I've tried the xelogen, halogen, GE, who cares what you pay, 12 bucks, 20 bucks, and cheapie china ones. I gave up years ago. I'll repeat, great floody beam, MR's can't touch that, but too much leaf/debris and bulb service.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
Heres the new ROOT Well Light....Lets see the knockoffs copy this!!!

That is some very nice St Augustine. Kikuyu is the most aggressive grass you have every seen. It will grow a 4 to 8" runner in a week! It is a runner type turf/weed than can pretty much choke out all weeds, turf and even chokes out bermuda. It only grows in warmer climates with minimal cold winters. Thank God we don't have it here. It is all over Southern California area.
Tommy Herren, CLVLT #1169
Member of AOLP, CA chapter
www.thelightinggeek.com

Battling the Forces of Darkness Everywhere

Last edited by The Lighting Geek; 07-04-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Interesting what you guys 'down there' call grass. We 'up here' have a totally different interpretation!

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 07-04-2009, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Works Lighting View Post
Interesting what you guys 'down there' call grass. We 'up here' have a totally different interpretation!
Ok ill bite...explain.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 07-06-2009, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

actually that picture was taken in Florida and those are palm tree roots......GE Par36 Halogen lamps are the best lamps for landscape lighting.... you can argue maintenance and how well lights suck etc etc....but they last a long time properly volted and will take most anything thrown at them........but yet again.....
Old 07-06-2009, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

if I had the funds, I would line up 100 par 36's at 11 volts ( pick any decent lamp), and 100 mr-16's at 11volts ( pick any decent lamp ) . and I would, without hesitation, bet 1000 bucks that the pars will have 2-3 TIMES the bulbs burned out in one years usage. my best guess, the mr's will have 5 bulbs out, and the pars over 20 out of 100. This is not about beating a dead horse. this is about right and wrong. and no one can convince me that pars out last mr's. that is just wrong information, period.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
if I had the funds, I would line up 100 par 36's at 11 volts ( pick any decent lamp), and 100 mr-16's at 11volts ( pick any decent lamp ) . and I would, without hesitation, bet 1000 bucks that the pars will have 2-3 TIMES the bulbs burned out in one years usage. my best guess, the mr's will have 5 bulbs out, and the pars over 20 out of 100. This is not about beating a dead horse. this is about right and wrong. and no one can convince me that pars out last mr's. that is just wrong information, period.
Come on Dave, just because you have had a bad experience with one type of lamp doesn't mean we all have. If you went with the GE pars only, you probably would not have had such a bad experience. My pars always outlast my MR's. However, I use GE's on everything so I can't speak to what pars other manus put out and the ones you have used.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 07-07-2009, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailboss View Post
Over the past couple of years I havent used very many well lights due to the problems that I have had in the past with water and fire ants. I am finding myself wanting to use some here and there in my designs but was curious what everybody else was currently using?? Do you like the Par 36 or the MR16 or 11? Which fixture do you find has the best adjustment and durability? I would really like something fairly deep so as not to be looking at the source but I still like a wide beam spread in most cases.
Any input and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Steve
I can imagine those fire ants are a real issue, however, the par 36 gives you a brush to paint with that most of your competition won't use. i haven't had your trouble with early outage. I imagine that can be frustrating. We use tham on almost every job. I have found, in our region, that over the years the sealed beam performs better that the bi pin. when the lamp turns off it's going to want to draw in moisture, If it's underground there's moisture all around. It seems, in our soil conditions, no matter how many drain pipes, how deep the pea gravel, that hole from time to time will fill up with water for short periods of time, bi pin socket assembly's fall apart...not the sealed beam. you also have the option of incandescent, halogen, xelogen, and L.E.D. I haven't found a quality l.e.d. yet but it's getting better
C.O.L.D. (Certified Outdoor Lighting Designer)#1112
C.L.V.L.T. (Certified Low Voltage Lighting Technician)#0639
Old 07-07-2009, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
thats a pretty strong statement..........But I would take that bet......
Old 07-07-2009, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
thats a pretty strong statement..........But I would take that bet......
20 Watt GE PAR vs. 20 Watt GE MR CC and I will add 1k to the pot, but if I win I want audio from Nate saying MRs are superior to Pars? Who is escrowing the prize money and audio?????