Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-01-2009, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Bought Used Scag Turf Tiger..deck is way out of adjustment..HELP!

alright guys im new to this forum and hope you guys can help me..first of all i just purchased a used Scag Turf Tiger i believe it is around a 2001 model...it has a 61" advantage deck and runs and drives great! the only problem is the cut is horrible and butchers the yard..i have downloaded the manual for my model off scag's website and have read in detail how they say to adjust the cutter deck level then the cutter deck pitch and finally the cutter deck height and it all seems very understandable and with patience should adjust great...i have looked under the deck and when i went to change the blades i noticed that all three blades had the stock spacer but it looks as if the previous owner tried to shim the blades using washers and he messed up bad because one blade has 3 washers, one has 2 washers and one has 0 washers...im guessing shimming the blades is the half ass way to adjust the cut right? also on the front right of the deck where the chain mounts at the top it looks like the guy drilled a new hole in the "L" shaped bracket and mounted the top of the chain in that hole which i know is not stock because the other side only has 1 hole on the "L" bracket..i just dont think this guy new what he was doing when it came to the deck...heres my plan: i was going to remove all three blades and take all the steel washers used as shims out and reinstall the three blades with the factory spacer and the washer that goes on the bolt head...i was then going to take the front right chain out of the "Custom" hole it is in and put it back in the stock location...this should get me close to the stock setup..i was then going to adjust the deck using the 3 steps in the manual and i believe it should get a great result if i just take my time... i also noticed that the manual says that when i put the deck in the travel position i am only suppost to have 1/4" between the deck stop and the top of the deck and when i checked i have about 3" between the surfaces so obviously that need adjusted badly...sorry for the long post but im new to scag mowers or any zero turn mower and am hoping this is a good way to go about achieving a great cut..please guys help me out as much as you can so i can get this mower to perform as good as possible. thank you!
Old 07-01-2009, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone help?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I can't help with info but be patient and someone will chime in here soon. It's middle of the week and a lot of people with the know how are taking a break from the web.

Your right though..it sounds like they had a butcher working on it before.
1992 Honda 21" HR214SX (Smokes a bit but runs)
2009 Shindaiwa T242 Trimmer
2005 Ryobi 30C Multi

"'Beauty is in the eye of the Beer holder." Anon
Old 07-01-2009, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

One of my SCAG's is the same year Tiger but with the 52 inch. I have not experienced any trouble with the cutter deck such as you explain, but I think you are on the right track by getting it as close to stock as possible and then go from there...The "shims" as you explained is strange, at least to me, are they above or below the blade, if they are below that is even more strange.....? It sort of sounds like he tried to adjust the height as you would on a fixed deck walk behind, but even that would not require different amounts on the blades........I once applied double blades which required the removal of the stock spacer and the addition of washer type spacers in it's place to acheive the same cutting height, but other than that I cannot see a reason to remove them. If you have a dealer in your area they may be able to help you out....I purchased mine from a previous SCAG dealer but the new one has been very helpful, it is good business for them to continue to assist....Just a thought....I am interested in what you find out........
Old 07-01-2009, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

so your turf tiger only has one spacer between the blade and the spindle correct? and i am going to give it a shot tomarrow since dealers charge way to much money lol...keep the advice coming!
Old 07-01-2009, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes only one, I am not sure of the exact size, but it is the stock spacer and it is about an inch or so in length....ET
Old 07-01-2009, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

How many hours are on the machine?
Old 07-01-2009, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

that deck sounds like somebody was messing around with the rear brackects that connect the deck to the frame of the mower. Those are not suppose to be touched unless it is at the dealer. the only thing to adjust is get the deck level side to side with the front bolt as the manual says. then adjust those long bars one on each side on top of the deck running parrallel to where your feet rest. I have been at the dealership and saw one way out of wack and the mechanic took the deck adjustment pin out and let the deck go all the way to the floor and made rough adjustments to get close enough to start off. I was amazed at how easy it was if you let the deck sit on the floor first even though the manual says nothing about this. try it out if I was you there is no way I would try to adjust the deck if it's way off until I adjusted it with the deck on the floor. Note this has to be done on a flat, level, concrete surface with 12 psi rear, 25 psi front. If you don't check the tire pressure your going to be running around in circles. once everything is leveled front and side. get a small square and measure the blade to ground at say with the deck set at 5 inches. if off say the square says 4.5 you can adjust the rod that goes into the deck height pin housing and fine tune it. that's it. so simple it is extremely difficult sometimes when you first lay eyes on it. good luck.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah your on the right track remove the washers he had on there they are ment for a walk behind mower also put that chain in the right hole buy the stock spacers put thoes between the top of blade and spindle also there should be a stock washer on the bottum of the blade refer back to manual for fine tunning the deck adjuster bolts back to factory
Old 07-02-2009, 04:30 AM
LawnSite Member

ok i will first take the washers out and put the front right chain in the stock hole..the stock blade spacer ARE still there so i can use those..can someone check there turf tiger and see if when the deck is all the way in the travel position if the gap between deck stop and the top of the deck is 1/4" because i think mine is way larger a gap than 1/4". with that being off the deck would be a lot lower in the 3" position just as it is..iwill adjust today.