Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-02-2009, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Overseeding pre-m treated lawn....

Ok, i asked this about 6 weeks ago, and we all pretty much agreed that it wouldn't be a good idea then.

Quick background....lawn was treated w/crabgrass control and fert 3rd week of April. No noticeable response from initial fert app. Since then, I have taken over the lawn, aerated and topdressed w/compost, then fertilized with nutrients plus. Lawn responded well to compost and organic fert, briefly. Now back to light green. Pretty sure it is due to the crappy seed put down last fall (Brand new lawn). I will be picking up my soil test on Monday, so I'm sure that will tell me quite a bit.

Customer really wants to overseed lawn. We have had a ridiculous amount of rain this spring/early summer....June set a record for wettest ever. Plus the lawn is irrigated, so plenty of water has fallen on this property

I'm thinking that I will seed the week after next. That will be a solid 10 weeks since the pre emerg, plus a ton of rain. I will be aerating and top dressing along with the seed for a second time.

Any thoughts????
Old 07-02-2009, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Go ahead and seed.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Many lawns of all kinds are yellowing around here as well, due to the excessive water. Some of the heavier soils became waterlogged and were suffocating for air. Sandier soil just kind of washed clean of any nutrients.

In short, what is it about the appearance of the lawn that helps you identify the seed? whether good or bad?

The light green color is more likely a soil problem - not necessarily a seed brand problem.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I know you are right small.....the existing turf has no KBG, just a standard builder's mix. I don't know the original mix. I will have the soil test results back on Monday, I'll post them here and see what you all think. They were taken prior to my original compost topdressing.

My plan is to go in with a high end mix very heavy on the KBG to allow for the current lack of it.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pristine1 View Post
Ok, i asked this about 6 weeks ago, and we all pretty much agreed that it wouldn't be a good idea then.

Quick background....lawn was treated w/crabgrass control and fert 3rd week of April. No noticeable response from initial fert app. Since then, I have taken over the lawn, aerated and topdressed w/compost, then fertilized with nutrients plus. Lawn responded well to compost and organic fert, briefly. Now back to light green. Pretty sure it is due to the crappy seed put down last fall (Brand new lawn). I will be picking up my soil test on Monday, so I'm sure that will tell me quite a bit.

Customer really wants to overseed lawn. We have had a ridiculous amount of rain this spring/early summer....June set a record for wettest ever. Plus the lawn is irrigated, so plenty of water has fallen on this property

I'm thinking that I will seed the week after next. That will be a solid 10 weeks since the pre emerg, plus a ton of rain. I will be aerating and top dressing along with the seed for a second time.

Any thoughts????

Where are you in Maine? I do believe that you guys have had about 977777and 4 inches of rain in the last 2 months.

Reasons that it is yellowing? lack of sun, too much rain, all the fert washed away. You are on the right track though

wait for seed in late August or early September
Old 07-06-2009, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Member

OK, here are the ugly results....(Lbs/acre available)
PH 5.5
P: 156
K: 225
Ca: 1004
Mg: 144
CEC: 10.1

%Base Saturation
K: 2.9
Ca: 25
Mg: 6
H: 66.5

OM3: 4

OK, what to do now.....
Old 07-07-2009, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like besides adding compost , add lime as well.
Do they bag clippings ?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

They do bag clippings for now.....I am going to work on this down the road. I did lime it already, with solucal. I think I should go with a dolomitic limestone to increase the Mg.

In about 2 weeks I will be aerating and composting again, along with overseeding. The mix will be heavy on KGB, so by the time it germinates it will be mid Aug. which is a decent time here in Me, the nights begin to cool, and the days aren't too hot....highs in the mid 70's. The place is also irrigated so I should be good on seeding.

I may even compost a 3rd time in October....but we'll see.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pristine1 View Post
They do bag clippings for now.....I am going to work on this down the road. I did lime it already, with solucal. I think I should go with a dolomitic limestone to increase the Mg.
Assuming those numbers are ppm, why?

The numbers for Ca and Mg (assuming ppm), are sufficient with respect to nutrients.

The only "good" reason for adding lime would be to raise the pH, and to be honest, if you have already limed, I wouldn't bother doing it again until you have tested a minimum of 1 year from the application date (assuming top dressed lime app).

Now increasing the OM% is something that will both increase your CEC and help buffer the pH, among the other host of good things it will provide.

Basically it comes down to this. Don't fight the natural tendencies of the soil/system, instead, work with them.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

My main focus is to get that OM% up asap....put 6yds on in May, gonna do another 6 in 2 weeks. (the area is about 9k sq.ft.) The lawn is currently a very light green, do you think it is the PH, or something else in the results? I will be seeding with a KBG/perennial rye mix...50/50 by weight, so many more KBG seeds.