View Poll Results: Dream fixture lead wire length
25' - the standard for Hub ready fixtures 9 45.00%
30' - longer the better, sometimes 25' isn't long enough 2 10.00%
10' - don't use or care for hubs but extra length is handy 5 25.00%
36" - the short leads most manu's use are just fine 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2009, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Phillips head screws strip much easier than an alan head.........
Old 07-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Works Lighting View Post
I really doubt you can make a tool-less ingrade well light that is also water tight. It might keep out moisture for a little while, but eventually it will leak.

Even some of the mid grade product that uses 4 or more screws tends to leak over time. Oh to have the NS Vermeer available again!

Regards.
Interesting (all brass). I'll look into it. PM me what you would pay for it, how many you would use in a year, and what price range would make it a no brainer to buy them all from one source (etl listed, and of the quality you expect and pre test).

I also think there might be a way to design it so that it will not leak without screws -- brass grate screws onto the outside of the casing (outside diameter), not threading inside the casing (inside diameter), plus adding thick industrial pregreased double orings. This way water would have to leak under the brass lip up the seam between the grate and the ourside of canister, over the top lip on the canister and back down inside the fixture. Could still leak from water pressure and would require testing but may be able to be done. I'll look into both.
(813) 978-3700
alanb@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Factory Direct Outdoor Lighting
Old 07-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
Phillips head screws strip much easier than an alan head.........
Agree.

I do not know if this occurs with high end brass well lights with hex screws, but I have seen where the hex screws freeze in the fixture and break off (this experience was from an aluminum spotlight that uses 4 hex screws from a well known manu). I think this is due to the fixture being aluminum (corrosion and not being pregreased). Can this be an issue with the brass on brass screws/hexs on quality well lights or does the brass on brass eliminate that prob?
(813) 978-3700
alanb@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Factory Direct Outdoor Lighting
Old 07-10-2009, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ALuminum is the worst as we all know when it comes to seizing scres and knuckles. Some anti sieze on all screws is a good idea especially on products going in the soil...
Old 07-10-2009, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

With that said the Kim mini vault is about the hardest ingrade I have in the field to change lamps on but.... It is always spotless inside and the lamps really do last. They also stay in place where I set them because the gimbal set up requires a small flathead to loosen the adjustment. 5 allen head screws just to take the cover off. A lamp change takes at least 10 min to remove...clean...relamp and reinstall the cover on. I dont even recall ever finding a bug in one. They come at a price tho.

I use ingrades but not traditional well lights basically due to the amount of pinestraw we accumulate here. If I was going to need a traditional type well light I would use Mike Gambinos unit as the lamp and socket are fully encapsulated.